hwh

Re: Newbie build. Tarot 250 robocat with Revolution Mini.
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 12:25:20 am »
The USB only powers the FC itself, anything plugged in needs the battery as well.   The exception since you have a "Revolution Mini" is the oplink-air and it's 8 pin connector, it's powered by the USB because it was part of the FC board in the original revo.

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 09:56:17 pm »
Ty for the info hwh!
No progress today. Came home very late from work. I would prefer to do Quad stuff.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who have responded to my thread so far. Very kind to take the time and effort to help a sometimes frustrated newbie.
Every one is a beginner at some point. Hopfully I can contribute to the comunerty in the future.
A good landing is when you can walk away. A really good one. Is when you can use it again!

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 08:15:11 pm »
Today we went flying!
Son did his first flights ever on a RC. I did my first attempts FPV.
FPV is the shxxx  ;D Its awsome! will take some time to get used to 100% But it beats flying a quad LOS.
Had really fun today! Worth my extra grey hears I got during config. :)

The new settings is much, much better. I think I could up the axis movemts/deg.sec. a bit more.
But will leav it for now. Maby just a toch of expo around center stick. The roll, yaw and pitch feels just more harmonic. Still not happy with coordinated banked turns. But now, thats more about shit behind the sticks ;) (me)

Anyone worried about the tarot robocat is fragily. Do not worry to much. One propper hit in my house wall. Not a scratch. Earlier a cpl of nights ago. I just "had" to fly in my cars garage. One propper hit to the wall..
2 hard "ground arrivals" today. One prop was no more. so propcunsming is now up to 2 total. Maby 12 lipopacs later. So, Nothing is broke yet! :)

I have split feelings abot setting up oplink. First, I think its really cool feature. Makes adjusting and playing on the feald much easier. Still, one can just hook up the usb. But looking at flightcontrols irt. That is so cool. But space is now very limited. Wheight is also starting to build up. 
I know I sound as a teen. But Im sertenly having fun as one happy kid! :)

I now have all parts to installing OSD. But I have never used a FTDI adaptor or similar.
But I think thats next step. One reson is that my voltage sensor telemetry on the I10. Is
a bit to much erratic. So it starts to warn for low batt. (set to 10.7V) already when its about 11V.
If one lands and turn off the motors. It shows 11.2 volts. And I have mersured a voltage drop from the Lipo to the sensor. To be 0.5V.
So..I should have plenty of power left.
Bulding a siple voltage divider. Getting voltage displayed on the OSD. would be better I think?
Still, The install and setup of the OSD seems a bit messy.

What do you experts think?

Also, a few pictures from todays activity! :)

A good landing is when you can walk away. A really good one. Is when you can use it again!

ernstock

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2016, 10:40:28 pm »
Hey that does look so smart in built up form.
Only osd I use is just for volts , and wouldn't feel comfortable without.
Each of the  cheap osd units I use tend to show volts at about 0.5 below actual , but I just adjust my ought-to-land voltage to suit.
Batteries will pick up their voltage a little when at rest
After hard use.
Hope your Fpv continues to go well.
As ever , I would recommend dal "unbreakable" props.

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 09:41:41 pm »
Hey that does look so smart in built up form.
Only osd I use is just for volts , and wouldn't feel comfortable without.
Each of the  cheap osd units I use tend to show volts at about 0.5 below actual , but I just adjust my ought-to-land voltage to suit.
Batteries will pick up their voltage a little when at rest
After hard use.
Hope your Fpv continues to go well.
As ever , I would recommend dal "unbreakable" props.
Voltage is a "must" on a osd I think. I might add some more for the fun of it.
One thing I noticed on FPV. Was the difficulty to get the feeling for the actual hight flying.
really low was easy. :) High was no problem. But with not much trees ect as a reference. It was hard to notice variations. So, baro might be good.

Ive bought plenty of diatone and gemfan 5030 props. So we will survive on the propfront for a while.
Intrestinngly ive noticed a few quality differences.
Diatone is really cheap and ok prop. Needs balancing.
Gemfan, I have bought both from HK and BG. Have not flyed them yet. But HK has different packing. seems to be slightly better qality.
Also bought GF with "composite" material. That seems much better in quality. (remindes me of masterairscrew a bit)
Although much more expensive.
DAL I have heard a lot of positive feedback of. Have to order a pair.
Sawsome good rewives of kinkong too..

With big hopes of really good flying weather for the weekend!
Son has started his build!!  :)

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 10:19:19 pm »
I don't use any OSD at all. I guess if I had a bed cell and I fall from the air or something that's what I would use it for. But I flew line of sight for a while and figured out my flight times on various batteries with a timer and a low voltage alarm. Now I know when the timer starts counting down time to come back and land.but I also run one of thoes cheapo voltage alarms that use the balance lead from battery.  About 5:30 on 3s cruising 3:30 hard flying. My 4s birds. 4:30-5:00 cruising. 2:00-2:30 hard flying. Seems every time I land my batteries come back up to storage voltage and all is well.

Play around with using pitch to control your altitude flying around instead of throttle. You'll need both obivously. But when flying forward throttle just makes you go faster. Pitch will adjust your altitude.

Just my two cents:  Baro or GPS and the related sensors are wasted on such a small acrobatic racing quad. Light, fast, and durable is The ticket. It's all too heavy to me.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:04:25 am by NicholasDavid »
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

ernstock

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 09:36:36 pm »
As the man says , baro or gps is not really the way forward for getting altitude sorted ( on performance quad )loads of practice probably better.
Myself am very used to 2.1 lens which gives a massive field of view at the cost of depth of field (?).
As you say , without points of reference no one knows where they are !
Ish.
Have tried King Kong 6040 and they are still in one piece long after they are propeller shaped !
Prefer dal. Bit more rigid.

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 05:13:00 pm »
Hi.
Maby not the correct forum.
Yesturday, after two months of delivery time. I got the Eachine 007 fpv goggles.
Im posting this because I can not recommend anyone buying it.
Its cheap. But I think only a few actually can use it. It has fixed optics. So if youre eyes dosent match. Its unusable. Also the lcd screen is absolutly crap. Mine arrived broken. I did fix it easily. But buildquality dosent even match the price.

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2016, 10:59:32 pm »
Was out to the RC field today.

Really nice evening. Went through my 4 lipo packs one by one.
Did mostly fly FPV by looking on the screen. Today very little "glare LOS"
I have to say it worked ok. Nothing broken. No really hard landing.
Have to say landing FPV is a bit tricky. But getting there. Just need to take the time and
Do the downwind and baseleg carefully. On final approach. I have to slow down really much. I have some problems with throttle control at near ground. Overcompensate and get a bit of jojo effect. :)

Altitude control was better and better today. Still getting cordinated turns (roll/yaw) hickups now and then.
Sometimes I get a bit lost with yaw input. Usally to much. Problems is probably because my fixed wing instinct. Like how I expect it to react to my inputs. Quads defenitly behaves differtly when for example easing the stick inputs in a banking turn. For example when doing a nice clean turn on a fixwing. When you are in a established turn. You ease aileron back to center. Relying on elevator for controlling the turn. On gliders one might have to us a bit rudder to initial the turn.
By instinct I do the same (often anyway)flying my RC quad. But, easing aileron in a trurn. It levels. Still having yaw input and pich forward. I get really suprised some times. Thinking w.t.h did just happen?? LOL
My instant reaction is telling me, this is not right behaviour. But the quad just do what it is told to do.

Anyhow. Im having really fun learning, and getting new flying experinece!

On the build/adding stuff. There is not much news. No time so far. when I have the time. Im gone flying!  :)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:05:47 pm by Sator Codex »

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 01:37:01 am »
It sounds as though you might benefit from RATE mode. Full manual control. No auto level. That way you have to re center the roll stick in turns like you are used to. Rate mode flying is most pilots goal.

Once your comfortable flying forward like a glider and plane, you find out pitch controls your altitude just like a plane. As long as your flying forward.

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 07:59:03 pm »
It sounds as though you might benefit from RATE mode. Full manual control. No auto level. That way you have to re center the roll stick in turns like you are used to. Rate mode flying is most pilots goal.

Once your comfortable flying forward like a glider and plane, you find out pitch controls your altitude just like a plane. As long as your flying forward.
I think you are absolutly right.
About rate. If im going to try rate. (Btw. I did a few weeks ago. I have improved my skills since then. But It was very intresting. Amost ended in a proper crash.  ;D)
Im thinking of change one flightmode to Rate. (have rate trainer, but it felt a bit weird)
It should maby be able to change to a slower deg. sec to all axis? One maby could call it gentle rate?  ;D
Just to make it fit my skills as they are now?

Bad Idea or not. I think I will try it this weekend. (If the few followers on this thread think it reasonable good idea?)

Only one day left. Then its friday!  8)

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2016, 08:23:30 pm »
That's how I learned.... Set defaults from 220 down to like 80 and learned rate....gently. Then as you get comfortable bump the rates higher and higher and maybe add some expo to make it a little easier to control with high rates.