ArnhemAnt

Re: When GPS doesn't get a suitable fix?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 12:50:53 pm »
Thanks.
I probably won't be back to this same location until a few more months, but I would like to test this theory. So...If I get there and cannot arm after at least 15 minutes, then I need to connect to the GCS (I have a BT module) and see if my mag is good - right? If mag is good, then it is probably the GPS. If mag is bad, then raise the quad up high and see it if will arm (props off)??

If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 03:50:30 pm »
If you are hooking up the computer anyway and see a red mag alarm the best thing would be to recalibrate the mags for the new spot. That is the safest option IMO.

The other option if you do not have access to a computer in the field would be to try and hold the quad in the air (after 5-15min of GPS lock time) and arm it. Then, quickly put it down on the ground, back off to a safe distance and try to fly before it disarms again. If you are unsure about this process and/or your setup I would recommend to try the sequence with props off first. A throttle hold switch on the transmitter is a really good idea.

Arming a quad in your hand is nothing I would want to recommend but it saved my day when skinning uphill for a whole day to a remote mountain top.

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 11:29:08 pm »
^^ Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to implement these when I next encounter the issue. I will take a laptop with me so that I can see what errors I am getting.
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.