Zmr250 flips on hover and occilates crazy
« on: February 22, 2016, 04:31:21 pm »
I tested my zmr250 Indoors today on stock (generic) settings and it hover with massive occilations then flipped after a few seconds, I changed the PID in basic setup to 10 pitch 10 roll 10 yaw but thje occilations are still there but mabey less, it stilled flipped over after a few seconds. any ideas why this happens, I havent tryed any higher rpms yet only hover and lower. tryed to get the gyro to go cracy in the GCS by shaking and rocking the quad fast but it only follows what Im doing so guro/accel seems to be fine.. Thanks

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Zmr250 flips on hover and occilates crazy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 06:50:03 pm »
Post your config file

File > Export UAV settings

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:20:50 pm »
alright here it is but I changed a few things. basic P setting is now R10 P10 Y5 and the board is rotated 90 degrees yaw(usb on the right side).
But to update on the problem, did some more testing I got rid of most hover occilations but I havent tryed anything els but hover att this stage yet. Also got a bit deeper understanding of the problem with the turn overs, its not really doing it in flight, it does it when you land or touch the ground. unless you put it down really soft it will throttle up for a millisecond and eather flip or just go straight up, you can hear the motors reving up pretty high for a fraction of a second....its really strange..

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 07:44:11 pm »
Yes, really strange you got oscillations. Maybe there is a confusion between instability and oscillations ?
I have almost the double for Rate PID :)

The values you reduced only applies to outer loop, you should tune the rate (inner loop) first.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 07:50:07 pm »
thanks
I dont think its a stability issue, it did occilate like crazy on the stock settings(R25 P25 Y25)ohh I thougth those only affected things in rate mode and I dont use that yet...so I have to tune the inner looop pid even if I never use rate mode? but how about the trottle up phenomena when i touch the ground or land, thats the scary part.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 08:00:50 pm »
The rebound can appends when you land on a hard surface... i always land on grass :)

Yes, inner loop first. Keep some values on outer loop or you lost control using Rattitude/Attitude.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 09:29:44 pm »
All right so the rebound is normal then, i did not notice this with my other quad but it was only 213grams without battery and this one is 415grams without battery and Ill guess weight could make it worse. I redone the vehicle and transmiter wizard and chose one of the zmr250 presets, I Think it was the one with Cobra 2207 or 2204 2300kv motors. it flyes much better now and yet the pids are much higher than my previus settings, still some occilations but not much. still does the rebound thing but Ill guess I have to live with that. now it feels like a stabile starting Point to tune from, Before it was just horrible. Thanks for the help mate

jbarchuk

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 07:27:58 am »
Also got a bit deeper understanding of the problem with the turn overs, its not really doing it in flight, it does it when you land or touch the ground. unless you put it down really soft it will throttle up for a millisecond and eather flip or just go straight up, you can hear the motors reving up pretty high for a fraction of a second....its really strange..

Lemme ask this first because it's critical and can affect *all* aspects of FC-controlled flight *after* the launch. When you start up the motors do you let it sit there for a bit at very low RPMs -or- do you immediately rev up to about half throttle to get away from the ground? That second 'or' part of that sentence is the correct way to launch.

Whyzzat? By design the FC's purpose and intent is to fly in free air. If the aircraft bobbles a bit and the landing gear touch the ground back and forth the FC gets 'confused' because it's not free air it's pushing against it's solid ground, so later flight in free air it behaves differently. It blasts the motors as -if- it's pushing against hard ground, which is too much throttle.

About the landing rebound, imagine driving a car.... As you slow the car to a stop, if you hold the -same- brake pressure continuously until the car stops, when it does finally stop there's a slight bounce backwards. The suspension leans forward against the friction of the tires. Energy is stored in the compressed suspension. As long as there's forward motion, slowing down, inertia leans the car forward. When motion stops the suspension is still leaning forward. THAT STORED ENERGY MUST BE RELEASED, which it does by rocking the car backwards. The only way to stop a car -without- that rocking motion is to gradually decrease brake pressure as the car speed drops. If brake pressure drops to zero just as forward speed drops to zero there's no stored energy in the suspension (or at least none that's noticeable) and the car doesn't rock back/forward. It's a real skill to learn how to drop the throttle on the quad to zero just as altitude reaches zero but I've managed a few letter-perfect landings once in a while. Rocking a car a bit when stopping is as normal as is a slight bounce when landing. But.... that's why I asked that first Q about the launch, related to the large RPMs and even flips that you mentioned, because once the FC is confused and disoriented at launch time all bets are off for the rest of the flight including the landing.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 09:23:45 am »
thanks for the replay!
Yeah I take it up to 1 meter instantly to avoid such problems and propwash occilations/instability, Always a good habit to avoid snagging the landing gears on crap. most of my occilations are resolved now, it flyes pretty much okay..
but this bouncing thing is not like that, the motors acculy rev up even if its a soft landing on a carpet, its scary and my other quad(also with cc3d) never acted like that. Im gonna film it so you guys can se how bad it is.
I read somewhere that high D(derivitiv) values could make this happend even on soft landings , gotto check my D values becouse Im sure this is way mor sensitive than normal

jbarchuk

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 12:27:19 am »
but this bouncing thing is not like that, the motors acculy rev up even if its a soft landing on a carpet, its scary and my other quad(also with cc3d) never acted like that.

What I said was '...drop the throttle on the quad to zero just as altitude reaches zero...' Meaning when the landing gear touches the ground the throttle should be at full off. If the throttle is at full off and you still have 'rev up' then that's a completely different issue. There should be nooooo way the FC can apply throttle to a motor if the stick is at full off. (Unless you're in one of the flight modes where the FC has 'more' control over  the motors than -just- the stick input.)

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 08:26:49 am »
thanks guys your right this flip thing is normal I was just not used to it, I shut the motors off over the ground and had no issue since. thanks