@marc

• Ask me about LibrePilot2Go on Android.
UAVTalk Documentation
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:31:34 pm »
Hi,

is there any better documentation about UAVTalk than https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/UavTalk ?

It seems to leave out so many topics... I miss object persistence, the handshake information seems to be outdated as well, I get 2 bytes before the sync value on usb connections...

Any hints? Figuring it out by reverse engineering and reading the GCS-code is pretty exhausting.  ;) :P ;D

Thanks!

Marc
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:48:53 am by flachskopp »

Re: UAVTalk Documentation
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 04:03:30 pm »
Hi,
I would like also to play with the Telemetry data stream, i got an oplink and would like to read his data stream so as to use it for applications.
You mentionned the UAV Talk protocol, i have seen plenty documents describing the protocol, what would you recommend to read ?Especially about the implentation of the protocol for librepilot ?
I would like to extract to telemetry data and the position, how can i proceed ?

Thanks!

@marc

• Ask me about LibrePilot2Go on Android.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:32:51 pm »
This is basically all there ist: https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Architecture

Everything else is in the Sourcecode ;-)

jcg1541

• Phones, Networks, And The Red Pill
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 10:53:26 pm »
Is there a particular reason your application prefers UAVTalk? Why not prepare for standard based SSL-TLS MQTT? The custom protocols often take a long time to be cleaned. AppleTalk was an example that consumed lots of engineering resource during the 90s-2000s before ultimately being abandoned in year 2009. 24 years to clean. The SSL-TLS with MQTT rides the general public cipher development resulting in more rigorous security. I am waiting for UAVTalk to become obsolete.

Hi,
I would like also to play with the Telemetry data stream, i got an oplink and would like to read his data stream so as to use it for applications.
You mentionned the UAV Talk protocol, i have seen plenty documents describing the protocol, what would you recommend to read ?Especially about the implentation of the protocol for librepilot ?
I would like to extract to telemetry data and the position, how can i proceed ?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:03:14 pm by jcg1541 »

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:03:33 am »
Is there a particular reason your application prefers UAVTalk? Why not prepare for standard based SSL-TLS MQTT? The custom protocols often take a long time to be cleaned. AppleTalk was an example that consumed lots of engineering resource during the 90s-2000s before ultimately being abandoned in year 2009. 24 years to clean. The SSL-TLS with MQTT rides the general public cipher development resulting in more rigorous security. I am waiting for UAVTalk to become obsolete.
There are two protocols
  • MAVLink
  • UAVLink

MAVLink  and UAVLink are designed especially for aircrafts and are highly efficient protocols. On another hand MQTT was designed for robotics and has different complexity footprint, it requires full TCP/IP layer implementation also you ask about SSL that's another extra layer. TCP/IP and SSL would be a quite computational and memory burden for simple STM32 micro-controllers which are scare with these resources and even that, they would introduce additional delay in data transmission. I am not an expert here, but these are my thoughts, maybe I am wrong. Why not try, measure delay/used resources and contribute ? :) Maybe both UAVTalk and MQTT could co-exist ? :)