CC3D Atom calculate level doesn't work
« on: February 13, 2016, 01:26:10 am »
I recently got a CC3D atom board from RMRC.  I updated the firmware and started the setup wizard, got thru until it does the level calculation and then exited out because I don't have the quad ready yet.  Just wanted to make sure the board was up to date and working correctly.  Well it appears that it isn't.  It does the level calculation and I then move to the flight data tab to check it out.  I don't even move the board from the place it was when it set level.  On the flight data screen it shows the quad tilted on both axis several degrees.  Again this is with the board in the same exact position it was when I did the calculation in set up wizard.

Now I also have a regular size CC3D and I just recently updated that to the LibrePilot firmware and it is working fine.  I even just redid the setup on it to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.  On this I calculate level then switch to the flight data tab and its shows everything level as it should be.

Did I get a faulty atom board?

Re: CC3D Atom calculate level doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 01:52:25 am »
wanted to add a picture of the screenshot taken

this is immediately after calculating level and the atom board has not moved since the calibration was done
you can see it is not level...

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 08:18:38 am »
does it reacting to movement like it should. if you go crazy on it like shaking it will it return to the same Point. in that case you should be fine if you change board parameters until its showing level, same settings you use to rotate the board.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:55:32 am »
Like Brassman says about the behavior, maybe your board is facing down ?
You need to set the board rotation prior to Level calibration or wizard.

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/CC+Attitude+Configuration

If your board is facing down, put 180° in Roll. Maybe need also some numbers for Yaw.
Double check PFD behavior to be sure you setup Virtual Attitude rotation fine or quad flip at startup.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:03:18 am by f5soh »

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:44:37 pm »
The board is upright and the arrow facing front of frame. Yes it reacts to movement like it should at least as far as I can tell, I will hook it up again and check, got frustrated last night and gave up.

Also yes it moves back to the same point in the screenshot above after moving it around and them placing back onto the spot I did the calculation.

If it can't be calibrated to show level how could it possibly work?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:08:02 pm by bryman021 »

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:04:04 pm »
I don't know why but I just tried the calibration in the attitude tab under configuration and it worked!  Now in the flight data tab all is good, sitting flat on table is now level. where as yesterday I was getting an offset doing the same thing in the setup wizard...

Is the calibration in the attitude tab different than the one in the setup wizard??  They appear to do the same thing.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 03:19:48 pm »
Level step from Wizard and Level calibration from Attitude tab set the level the same way for CC3D/Atom.

You just need to set the board rotation before level calibration or Wizard, usually just after erase.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 03:29:05 pm »
I thought they were the same, thing is I didn't change anything else in the attitude tab only level calibration. The board is oriented normal arrow side up and arrow pointing to front of quad...
I'm afraid to retry for fear of bad results but I'm gonna have to to make sure it keeps working

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 07:39:48 pm »
My boards sometimes do that. Just recalibrate level and hit save. Disconnect and reconnect. Is it still level or did it change again
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 07:43:46 pm »
I'm away from the house for a bit but am going to check when I get back home. Good to hear someone else has experienced this issue. Hopefully it was just a fluke and all will be good when I reconnect the atom to librepilot gcs.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 11:38:04 pm »
Just got back onto gcs and still got a level controller!
re-calibrated and appears all is good!

Maybe when I used the setup wizard it wasn't saving, or I wasn't saving properly.

Anyway I think I am good to go!

Thanks for the support!

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 03:48:18 am »
No problem. I had a big ordeal when I mounted the cc3d 90degrees (on purpose) I had an issue that the board wasn't stright and I would adjust it, save and check the virtual horizon and go back and forth checking and adjusting but it would never hold proper calibration or level. I figured out I needed to adjust it to as close to level as possible then do the zero calibration then save. Disconnect then reconnect and its holds its calibration and level perfectly.

My first cc3d board (RIP) just didn't hold its level calibration. It seemed like I re set its level every few weeks or so. Now it's something I at least check before I leave the GCS every time I make a change to make sure it knows what level is.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS