Hot motors after updating to libre
« on: February 06, 2016, 08:42:43 am »
Hi there,

Thought i should bite the bullet and swap from OP to LP. Flashed my firmware with latest and ran through the setup wizards.

Haven't tuned it at all yet. Flies ok (is stable, but not very locked in yet), but my motors are getting hot to touch almost straight away... this wasn't the case with the OP. Motors used to be only warm after flying a fully battery. It's also pulsing a bit.

Is this likely to just be a tuning thing? or has something changed? It's a genuine Revo btw.

:'(

Mateusz

Re: Hot motors after updating to libre
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 09:28:25 am »
Hi there,

Thought i should bite the bullet and swap from OP to LP. Flashed my firmware with latest and ran through the setup wizards.

Haven't tuned it at all yet. Flies ok (is stable, but not very locked in yet), but my motors are getting hot to touch almost straight away... this wasn't the case with the OP. Motors used to be only warm after flying a fully battery. It's also pulsing a bit.

Is this likely to just be a tuning thing? or has something changed? It's a genuine Revo btw.

:'(

I am not an expert here to say, but myself I haven't noticed anything strange after changing from OP to LP, and it works for many people.
But I have something VERY important to say, the sooner you dont do that, the better for you
Please don't connect battery or any unlimited current/too high voltage if motors get warm

At least until this gets sorted out, you can seriously damage your motors, if it's not too late already. If your motors were getting even warm, I would not fly such a build in the first place :(, but it's me, some other people like to take risk.
I advice you to check your maximal power limits of your motors, by checking datasheet/specs or if you can find that at http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.php

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 09:38:18 am »
thanks. wasn't planning on running them hot :)

they are t-motors, and i've run them for a while on this quad with the same props / batteries / weight etc... so they are the right size for the job. the fact all 4 suddenly get hot and they never used to really even get warm is kind of weird... doubt the bearings have suddenly gone in all 4!

I'll do a quick tune and see if it settles down.

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 10:03:49 am »
thanks. wasn't planning on running them hot :)

they are t-motors, and i've run them for a while on this quad with the same props / batteries / weight etc... so they are the right size for the job. the fact all 4 suddenly get hot and they never used to really even get warm is kind of weird... doubt the bearings have suddenly gone in all 4!

I'll do a quick tune and see if it settles down.

I am using t-motors 1806-2300 with afro esc and 2206-2000 with kiss esc, both running LP on 3S just fine. All using oneshot125.
  • What protocol/speed are you using to send data to ESC ?
  • Did you flash ESC recently ?
  • Are those ESC on stock firmware or you flashed them with some changes earlier ?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:11:41 am by Mateusz »

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 10:31:55 am »
Hey boonzie,
Nice to see you here. As Mateusz has suggested, definitely check the info on the ESC's that you would have selected during the vehicle setup wizard as this may be the issue.
Also, when you flashed the board at the start, did you select to erase all settings? Not sure if this is going to make a difference but just thought I'd check with you.

A screen shot of the GCS Stabilised tab with the PID's may also help.

Was the frame sitting for a while since you flew it last?

To me, it sounds like an ESC timing issue. Regardless, we need to get to the bottom so you are back up and flying safely.

I've swapped a lot of my frames across from OP to LP and have not noticed any issues. Quite the opposite really.

Keep us posted mate.
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.