QC102

Newbie: Will OP configuration carry into LP?
« on: January 26, 2016, 11:39:38 am »
I have a 450 clone off eBay, CC3D atom, I am  still   learning ( very slowly) how to  configure the FC.
Every  youTube vid I have  seen goes through CC3D versions - but never gets into the PIDs.
I see builds  going together on 30 minutes...  then  cut away  to  the model being hovered - nice - then flown off and back. No explanation  of what went  after teh build with sorting the FC etc,.
So If plug my CC3D into LP - will it  wipe  the current config? 
Alternately - Am I right to assume the LP  is more up to date and  advanced development than any version of OP.

Re: Newbie: Will OP configuration carry into LP?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:23:14 pm »
PID tuning is a lot of "subjective feel" by the pilot. A lot of default PIDs fly really well. Yes it will erase your current setup for OP. But LP in my opinion is better. The ground control station is virtually identical. It just has new logos and a few new visible features. But what's really changed is in the firmware. Its better. Now I can't comment on all the exact new changes that are actually inside Libre pilot, one of the other forum members with some inside knowledge can comment. But yes it's worth it to upgrade.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

Mateusz

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 04:14:41 pm »
I have a 450 clone off eBay, CC3D atom, I am  still   learning ( very slowly) how to  configure the FC.
Every  youTube vid I have  seen goes through CC3D versions - but never gets into the PIDs.
I see builds  going together on 30 minutes...  then  cut away  to  the model being hovered - nice - then flown off and back. No explanation of what went  after teh build with sorting the FC etc,.
So If plug my CC3D into LP - will it  wipe  the current config? 
Alternately - Am I right to assume the LP  is more up to date and  advanced development than any version of OP.

• Yes, there is no backward config compatibility, and it's generally true for every change developers make I think. If it worked between releases I would consider it as coincidence and taken risk ;). It's always good after flashing new release to configure everything from scratch. It's not only that UAV objects might change, but also range or magnitude of values they store.
  • Yes, it will ask you, if you want to wipe your previous config. You should definitely do that. Config is stored not in micro-controller but in external memory (additional flash chip), so it can only be wiped out by board that successfully booted (otherwise recovery is needed). Board might not boot if it finds config corrupted/unknown config, so another reason you MUST wipe everything when flashing.
  • OP stopped their development, and LP has all the bug fixes and new features. In fact many people who work now on LP are OP developers who didn't want to become commercial.
  • Latest OP release excluded CC3D target from support. LP brings that back. So you get most recent firmware and gcs working with CC3D.

I think everyone should definitely upgrade to LP.

When it comes to PIDs, new LP includes Easytune, which helps with tuning. OP took down wiki, but there are backups like https://opwiki.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ and LP is working on new wiki on their own https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Welcome

But you should be able to fly well with defaults, just pick the frame that is closest to yours. I had DJI F450 with CC3D which I gave away to my father, it works  like charm.

QC102

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:16:03 am »
Looking through LP.. I  see it retains the same ESC calibration method.  I do not always hear any beeps from ESCs!
I t would be easier ( for me anyway) if LP could adopt the Clearflight method no messing about with batteries etc,.
Ah Well... maybe one day.. meanwhile I have deleted OP - no  point in messing about  with something that is basically out of date.

Just waiting for a new board to arrive and useit with LP.

Thanks  for your helpful replies guys...appreciated..