f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: HELP!! - Revo w/GPS will not arm when disconnect from GCS
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 09:07:25 pm »
I wonder how many threads you need for your issue ?
Please keep simple, no need to start a new thread.

All posts from 3 threads, now in a same thread. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:15:27 pm by f5soh »

FlyGuy

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 09:51:03 pm »
Sorry, last thread started looking for a different flight controller recommendation.

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 11:11:31 pm »
INS13 uses the mag for more than just compass heading and so quad must be built correctly and calibrated correctly.  INS13 uses mag all the time, not just in GPS flight modes.  The mag is also used to know what direction is down so if it is incorrect, it will not fly level and will do other bad things too!

While you are building you must twist together all your high current wire pairs/triplets:  Battery to PDB, PDB to ESC, ESC to motor.  You must use a good PDB that is designed for use with mags.  Even after that, if you have a small or powerful quad, the magnetic fields may still be too strong to fly.  You can arm because mags are green when there is no power, but when you add power, the mags go orange or red.

One solution is to use an aux (external) mag.  Now days they are usually built into the GPS unit.  For 15.09 the only supported aux mag is the one on the OP GPS V9.  For our next LP release, we will have support for different GPS/mag units and thus have more aux mag options.

If your mag ever goes orange or red just because you go to increase throttle, you have a mag problem that must be fixed.  It doesn't do it as bad when facing some compass directions, but you still have the problem if it does it at all.  :(  And these tests must be performed with props on because that is when there is a large load for the motors and thus a large current flowing in the wires.

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 12:13:19 pm »
I am able to arm the quad but am having difficulty getting my Tarot TL250A w/revo to take off level when it is configured for GPS (INS13). When the revo is configure for non-GPS flight (Basic Complimentary) it takes off level and flies fine in manual, altitude hold and altitude vario.

Hi!

I had exactly the same issue when I was running the latest released LibrePilot 15.09. With INS13 I could hardly take of and quad was really unstable. Using any GPS  assisted mode would cause a right-away crash. I had the same thoughts and was looking on Naze32+ that has found its place on my shelf long ago. But since it was winter and I had a lot of time for experiments I have built software from "next" branch and installed it. After that, things have changed significantly. My quad is very stable and all GPS functionality work just fine.
I believe that all gurus here (that are usually respond in this forum) are running not released software that was improved a lot (thank you guys - you are awesome!), and are not really aware of existence of such problems (it may happen that this problem exist only with some clones of revo boards and 15.09 sw).
My advice to try LP next before you switch to different FC. (It is really awesome!)

Best regards,
-K.

Mateusz

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 01:21:13 pm »
I believe that all gurus here (that are usually respond in this forum) are running not released software that was improved a lot (thank you guys - you are awesome!), and are not really aware of existence of such problems (it may happen that this problem exist only with some clones of revo boards and 15.09 sw).
My advice to try LP next before you switch to different FC. (It is really awesome!)

It's in human nature to look for patterns, but often people draw mistakenly conclusions from those patterns trying to explain something, while in fact the real cause is completely different. Same happens with changing firmware, or hardware to completely new one. You change everything so it's likely you changed something on the way you don't know about. I am not excluding any possibility of the cause, but saying it may not necessarily be firmware problem.

Does going back to the old firmware with the same procedure/similar config causes issues ?

Another thing is that LP uses 3D magnetometer. This usually causes most headache to people. What that means is that LP measures magnetic field at all three x,y and z axis and uses all that information. While some other software may use only 2D magnetometer and use only two axis, ignoring third measurement. Having more data helps EKF to give more accurate estimates, than just using fewer data. However, despite the EKF (aka INS31) is designed to deal with noise by taking best of all sensors and blending them, it can not handle completely noisy, contradicting or not consistent data.

Often people fly in Complementary and think that enabling INS31 just adds GPS. That is not correct. Complementary uses Accel+Gyro, while INS31 uses all sensors available on the aircraft.
If any of those sensors produces totally wrong data either because of noise or bad mag rotation (in case of auxmag) that are not in agreement with the rest of sensors, then fusion algorithm won't be able to give reliable results.

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 03:26:50 pm »
Does going back to the old firmware with the same procedure/similar config causes issues ?
Yes, it might turn out that it will work - I have not tested this yet. But setup is the same - I can reproduce it with my eyes closed. That is why it gave me certain level of confidence that this might be a firmware problem. I have some basic knowledge of LQE and I understand what happens when you turn INS13 on. However since my theory has never been tested, let's consider it as ONE of MANY possible root causes.

Mateusz

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 06:00:36 pm »
Yes, it might turn out that it will work - I have not tested this yet. But setup is the same - I can reproduce it with my eyes closed. That is why it gave me certain level of confidence that this might be a firmware problem. I have some basic knowledge of LQE and I understand what happens when you turn INS13 on. However since my theory has never been tested, let's consider it as ONE of MANY possible root causes.

If you have time and spare build, it would be awesome if you could reproduce a problem, by testing 15.09 and next firmware back and forth with the same config. I don't want to discourage you by the fact that it worked for me and others, but if you would find the cause of your problem that is not a user error, that would be really great to know. Maybe devs could roll out a minor fix release for those who can't build next ? I am serious here, it would be really helpful for others.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:06:52 pm by Mateusz »

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 10:14:01 pm »
If you have time and spare build, it would be awesome if you could reproduce a problem, by testing 15.09 and next firmware back and forth with the same config.
Mateusz,
The main problem is as always - time. I will try to do the test this weekend. (I do not promise but will try to find time ;))

Best,
-K.