seeking some clarification on yaw
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:06:50 pm »
not quite sure how to describe this query.. only just recently begun my journey into acro+ flying on a CC3D board, currently flashed with OP. At the moment if I'm in forward flight and i yaw, then i have to feed lots of roll into it, otherwise i go from looking towards the ground to looking at the sky when i turn 180º, is this normal? my friend who is flying clean flight doesn't seem to experience this, when their quad turns 180, the angle of bank stays relative to the orientation of the craft, i.e. without any roll input the front of the quad will keep it's angle of bank to the ground, so after a 180º turn, the nose will still be pointing to the ground.

hope this makes sense to someone.. Is this just because acro+ has no self levelling? I'm confused  ;D

Re: seeking some clarification on yaw
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:03 pm »
Yes when in acro+ centered round the stick it will act like rate and at the end of the stick travel it'll be acro+ for fast flips.  No auto level. If your friend is in a similar mode like, horizon mode I believe, that's self level with flips possible like our rattitude mode. So rattitude is self level with flips at full stick. Acro+ (For example)is rate mode around center stick, with higher rates set by the acro plus part at full stick for fast flips.  Sounds like he is in horizon mode which is like our Rattitude
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 05:37:27 pm »
In Rate/Acro+ mode, in forward flight, you are banked forward with sticks centered and the camera is looking a little down.  When you rotate yaw, the plane of the quad stays the same (that is what yaw is) so your camera is facing backwards and pointing a little up.

Imagine if the quad was banked 90 degrees forward (rate mode and sticks are centered, it does not automatically level out).  You are high up, but sliding edgewise downward.  You are looking straight at the ground.  Imagine giving 180 degrees yaw and nothing else.  You are now looking straight up.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 01:39:02 am »
In Rate/Acro+ mode, in forward flight, you are banked forward with sticks centered and the camera is looking a little down.  When you rotate yaw, the plane of the quad stays the same (that is what yaw is) so your camera is facing backwards and pointing a little up.

Imagine if the quad was banked 90 degrees forward (rate mode and sticks are centered, it does not automatically level out).  You are high up, but sliding edgewise downward.  You are looking straight at the ground.  Imagine giving 180 degrees yaw and nothing else.  You are now looking straight up.

so what I'm seeing is normal.. if I want to perform a tight 180º turn from fast forward flight i need to feed in lots of roll to maintain the nose pitch attitude.. does make sense, otherwise it would be impossible to make some manoeuvres, I was just getting a little confused about it. watching guys like kreso saric doing their tight turns they make it looks so easy and locked in! It's easy to think I might be missing something in the tuning process...

i think my friend was flying his quad on horizon mode in CF which might account for the different yaw characteristics

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 03:09:02 am »
Yeah lots of roll gets that smooth sideways turns. Or pitch back flat yaw 180 forward pitch and lots of throttle, that makes a fast 180 and go. I tell ya what look up Joshua Bardwell on YouTube. He's a clean flight guy but he has an excellent video about this very topic. Illustrates this perfectly. And currently he has a series about learning to fly using a simulator that's very visual and goes over this as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:12:28 am by NicholasDavid »

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 10:57:20 am »
Yeah lots of roll gets that smooth sideways turns. Or pitch back flat yaw 180 forward pitch and lots of throttle, that makes a fast 180 and go. I tell ya what look up Joshua Bardwell on YouTube. He's a clean flight guy but he has an excellent video about this very topic. Illustrates this perfectly. And currently he has a series about learning to fly using a simulator that's very visual and goes over this as well.

8)
yeah baby that's what I call clarification.. will have to try some flat 180 turns now, getting some fairly tight 180s but  that's what I'm working to.
it all fell into place today when i put it back into attitude and it did the co ordinated turn for me.. acro requires it to be done manually but opens it right up.. i like
thanks guys
now I wanna fly free rider but the stupid usb dongle i bought doesn't supply any yaw input to the software..

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 02:10:01 pm »
Yeah man glad I can help. That's what this community is for