Quad tilts at full throttle
« on: January 09, 2016, 04:46:44 am »
I HAVE NOT TEST FLOWN OR DID A PUNCH OUT WITH LIBREPILOT YET. IVE JUST SWITCHED FROM OP.  THIS EXPIRENCE WAS WiTH 15.02 OPen pilot. So I've got a impulse RC 5" alien. Lumenier rx2204-2300kv. Dys bl20 14.1 5v1A bec esc. Cc3d openpilot. (I'm now running LP 15.09. I have yet to test with all the new changes)I've tried different pre set setting and adjust the pitch axis similar to the roll cause the aliens symmetrical and it flys great but needs tuning obviously. I've used the blackout tune, zmr250 4s tune, Emax...ect. All are similar. And I  just adjust the pitch # back to the roll #'s or close to them.  Haven't tried the generic X tune or anything but rate mode isn't the problem. I'm getting better in FPV but while flying LOS attitude is easier for me. So just showing off the power for friends and when I go full throttle I get what's looks like a left roll maybe 10 degrees or so. Not too awful. I can steer it back the other way. So it's not locked in the tilt, and anything below 75-80% throttle it's flat.  I've tried esc calibration. I have a usb tool and they are all set the same. Neutral start is exactly the same for all motors. Smooth brand new esc and motors, frame and cc3d. My question is. Will tpa help? Is it a tuning problem or a hardware problem?  I would assume one esc bad would tilt more to one corner not flatly to the left. Haven't tried it forward flight. Also my board is rotated 90 deg but I adjusted virtual attitude of the board and all the axis check out. Like I said it flys in attitude fine except full punchouts. I also haven't tried full punchouts in rate cuz I'm a scared little girl. Lol. Thanks for your time guys. Sorry I ramble. Don't hate me I just came from OP.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Quad tilts at full throttle
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 10:59:35 am »
Hi,

The tilt behavior at full throttle is normal because 15.02 do not have Motor Constrains and your quad should not be well balanced.

Please update to LibrePilot and see if you can reproduce.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 04:43:39 pm »
I have converted to Libre pilot. Waiting to test. I wondered if any of the changes from OP to LP would make it better or worse

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 05:44:41 pm »
In old firmware, you need to set your throttle curve so you only get e.g. 90% power at full throttle stick, so that there is some headroom left for stabilization.  What you describe is exactly what happens if you don't have enough stabilization head room for your quad.

In newer firmware, it is handled automatically by throttle being reduced just enough so the fastest motor is commanded exactly 100% (if there otherwise would be a motor commanded to over 100% throttle).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:48:22 pm by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 04:30:20 am »
Cool. Like I said that was my last expirence with OP15.02. 3-4 days of rain and snow so I cant get out to fly. So I upgraded both quads to LP. In 15.02 No matter which preset tune you go with the throttle curve was always 90% max like it should be (except the mxp 230 tune was 80%). So this is handled better in LP through the firmware? Better motor mixing and what not?  Glad to hear can't wait to confirm in flight.

She's just got so much power, I want to be able to use it controlled.  Like a car that accelerates stright line vs one that accelerates with some torque steer
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:39:50 am by NicholasDavid »

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:13:12 pm »
Yep, switching to Libre pilot and going through setup on quad and TX solved it for sure. Full throttle punchouts are now clean and flat. No more leaning to one side. Now I feel confident about my setup. Now we just need summer so I can fly!!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:20:21 pm by NicholasDavid »

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:18 pm »
Mine is doing the same thing and i can here some occilation in the motors at full throttle. Any tips for a guy new to thr hobby.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 01:23:42 am »
Make sure your running Libre pilot and not Open Pilot. I was worried I had a bad esc or motor. But it flew smooth the rest of the time. So I assumed it to be software related. And I upgraded to Libre pilot  and my problem disappeared. Is it occilating or tilting to one side under full throttle only? All I can really give is the general.  Check all solder connections. Make sure your escs are all calibrated correctly.  Check for vibrations on each arm with the props off/motor spinning to see if any are really rough. No chipped or damaged propellers.  Try the punch out in attitude and rate mode to see if it makes a difference.

If its in RATE mode and your getting a slight lean/roll in fast forward flight or slight yaw or something I would look at your I gain on that axis. If you get the shakes at high throttle climb or fast forward flight and acceleration then look into adding some TPA in the advanced section on the stabilization page.

If your in attitude mode and it does it all I can say is re-calibrate your escs. You want to Make sure all the beeps are in sync when you plug in. If one or more sound out of sync re calibrate until they all sound the same. Hopefully this will help.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:36:11 am by NicholasDavid »

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:56 pm »
Hey guys! I'm new here but have been using cc3d and nano for a while now.
My problem is once I start to throttle up for take off and get maybe an inch off the ground it throttles up by itself uncontrollably. I have reset the board and have gone through every thing I can think of to no avail.
Anyone else experienced this problem? Any help would be much appreciated!

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 03:23:39 am »
You know. I had two weird mishaps putting my alien together. At first I had it running on old OP15.02 then to LP the most current one what ever it is. And I don't remember when it was doing this problem which program I was running. But I would just start to increase throttle see it start to lift off and it would tumble and break props.  Eventually I think I must have had a prop wrong or I moved it after I plugged it in. Take your props off and plug into the computer and look at the screen with the virtual horizon. I don't remember what it's called. Is it slanted or flat. Plug in and arm. Is it still flat? It's should be. We really need more info. Screen shots,more description