daveapplemotors

• Helis rule
Libre Pilot Data page on Google Drive
« on: January 06, 2016, 04:54:57 pm »
Some of my helicopter data is posted on this spreadsheet. I will add more when I have time. Please contribute to this page. Feel free to add data columns, comments or whatever you deem relevant. This is just a quick start. If anyone copied the page that was on OP's site it would be a better starting point... 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vbqxQkTHJAUkiKvjfJXQcSsrPBz_NNRFiDazssHaXwc/edit?usp=sharing

Happy Landings!

Re: Libre Pilot Data page on Google Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 01:25:03 am »
If you get to the point where you are familiar enough with setup to do it from scratch without starting from a uav file import, it would help if you could write up a how-to for the wiki.  :)

daveapplemotors

• Helis rule
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 04:40:48 am »
I would love to be able to write a comprehensive startup guide but it is way harder than using a sample UAV.
A helicopter beginner's UAV might be something like the attachment.

The defaults on Config / Stabilization page for Rate are a problem. You can't see movement unless you use 360 or greater.
The defaults on servo travel are a problem. They can overtravel. Start with 1300, 1522, and 1650
The attachment "Sample.UAV has Rates at 540 and conservative servo travel limits. It is configured for a satellite.

Check servo direction- easiest to set in "System / Actuator Settings " If a servo moves the wrong direction swap min and max values.  Check gyro compensation. Change sign on "System / Accel Bias and Gyro Bias" if one axis is reversed..  I can't see the servos move as well as I can feel them. When I tip my helicopter forward I feel the rear swash pinch my finger a little. When I tip it left I like to feel the right servo arm pinch my finger to the gear.

You can't "Save" to the board if your ESC is armed. The default on arming is a problem. Always disarmed is a joke and always armed is dangerous. Why do they exist? I arm with throttle off and "Pitch Aft".
The throttle / pitch get weird unless you set the neutral value pretty close to minimum. You must do this after "Manual Calibration" of TX.

*Check servo travel- I use "System / Actuator Settings" to set them.
  • , [1]. [2] are cyclics [3] is the tail. I don't like "Swash Leveling"in config because it makes the servos move too fast and sometimes wrecks something. Use "System /Actuator Settings for the tail limits and neutral, too. Guess at neutral tail setting on the bench and then refine your setting by hovering. It's good if it can hover with no Yaw input.

*check servo neutral= blades at zero pitch and servo arms level
*check for positive and negative pitch. check that tail slider moves to both limits; set neutral with a little Yaw right (refine this setting after flying)

repeat previous three steps until you are happy with geometry of head and the tail. Then test hover and make corrections as necessary.

Fiddle-Fart around with your TX until you can get some flight modes. With 6 flight modes (DX7S) I can do some comparisons on the three different banks as well as testing Rate, Rattitude, Acro+ or Weak Leveling at the flick of a switch, or two.

Find a calm spot to start tuning. Then you input values for inner control loops on all three axes. Start conservatively to avoid scary oscillations but if you are too conservative you won't have any control.   

Once you have Inner Loops working then try some wind so that you can tune the Outer Loops.

Take you time with setup. Check it again and again.
Happy Landings!

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 05:51:02 pm »
If it is OK by you, I will take your notes (attributed to you) and put them as notes in the wiki.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:02:34 pm »
Udo (utoedter) (https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?action=profile;u=407)  already started a a page for Heli setup.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Helicopter

You can register and write on wiki

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »
Still learning where stuff is in wiki.  :)

Still would be good to at least add these notes as a second opinion till we get the heli side more "booted up".

daveapplemotors

• Helis rule
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 10:07:00 pm »
Anything here you can use for free. I wrote D words in caps to indicate that I have experience with each of the problems..

***DANGER Arming--use anyghing except "Always Armed" or "Always Disarmed"

***DAMAGE RE: input frequencies - I  have wrecked a few servos and one ESC with higher frequencies. I now happily use 50Hz on everything now. My DS76t E-flite tail servos heated up at whatever frequency I tried so they live in a drawer.

***DAMAGE -- "Confuration / Vehicle / Swash Leveling" is harsh. It can wreck something. It sends three cyclic servos to the limits very fast which can wreck something if a servo goes the wrong way.

Instead try editing "System / Actuator Settings / Channelmax, Min and Neutral, use 1300, 1520, 1650 for min, neutral and max. to start on the first 4 servos "
  • ,[1],[2]}are cyclics and tail is [3]".  Raise and lower the swash with GUI and flight battery connected and of course the TX on.  Go slowly and take your time but don't DAMAGE your lipo by going to LVC. 

***DAMAGE -- default Manual RATE should be 540 in "Configuration / Stabilization Settings / Advanced ( total rate should be a little higher) because you can't tell if a servo is moving much less which way the gyro compensation is moving it unless you increase RATE. It will tip over and wreck something if you get X or Y axis wrong in "System / Accelgrosettings / Accel and  Gryo Scale. Get Z axis wrong and it spins.  You can set Rate back down on Pitch and Roll but why? Most helis are set to go 540 degrees/ second on the yaw already.

Glad to help ;)
Happy Landings!

suzali

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:29 am »
I finally got my 450 flying.
Started writing the values into the Libre Pilot Data page on Google Drive.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:24:18 am by suzali »

daveapplemotors

• Helis rule
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 03:33:59 pm »
Hey suzali,

I notice that you have rates pretty low. at 280 it will take almost 1.5 seconds to flip or roll. And with yaw at 220 it will rotate even slower. Stock little Blade products yaw at 540 degrees/second. I think the flip rate is the same. I would have to start at 30 feet if I wanted to flip without crashing.

If you change those rates to something that I consider more reasonable you will have to lower your P and I.
Happy Landings!

suzali

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 04:39:34 pm »
I'm happy about each hint. I'm a complete novice in flightcontrols  ::)

daveapplemotors

• Helis rule
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 05:55:23 pm »
Hey People,--rant to follow:

SHARE.  link to google drive Libre Pilot data page

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vbqxQkTHJAUkiKvjfJXQcSsrPBz_NNRFiDazssHaXwc/edit#gid=0

Post your UAVs. If they fly well leave a comment. If they don't fly well leave a comment. If they don't fly try someone else's to see if that changes things. Update as you improve. Comment on different modes. 

And once we get a large enough database someone can use it to find a similar setup, download and fly without too much hassle.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:00:00 pm by daveapplemotors »
Happy Landings!

daveapplemotors

• Helis rule
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 02:25:13 pm »
Flew 3 250 helicopters yesterday. Updated Google Drive spreadsheet. Notable differences between OP and LP settings on same helicopter.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vbqxQkTHJAUkiKvjfJXQcSsrPBz_NNRFiDazssHaXwc/edit#gid=0

Happy Landings!

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 05:15:54 pm »
Updated the file with my UAV and values, but wasn't sure what the "man rate" value means, honestly. Used the rate value from the advanced tab for both "man rate" and "total rate"