ESC calibration and tx range
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:28:56 pm »
Hi,

I've extended my radio range a bit which gives me more space on the inputs (~ 0 - 2000). Everything works fine.

I was wondering how does that get translated to esc pwm signal? Using the wizard, escs are calibrated without any knowledge of the tx input range. Is the tx input translated/scaled to match what esc receives or am I completely misunderstanding this? :) I've seen some people calibrating escs using their radios instead of fc, does that matter?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:33:05 pm by muchzill4 »

mazevx

• Still Learning ...everday
Re: ESC calibration and tx range
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:09:16 pm »
The rc input levels and the fc output levels are completely different.
The output from the FC is depending on flying conditions and flighmode etc...
If its possible always calibrate ecs with the flightcontrol.

Re: ESC calibration and tx range
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:55 am »
The first step after reading in the stick values is to take whatever the range is and convert it to [-1.0,+1.0].  That is what the transmitter wizard calibration is all about, so it doesn't matter how you set your transmitter; so it is best to just set your transmitter up with stock settings.

ESC calibration on the output does the same thing.  Throttle is handled a little differently.  Anything negative makes it output the min.  Zero makes it put out neutral (motors idling).  Positive is the actual range used.

There are many things that go on in between.  Your throttle stick may be in the middle, and the average motor may be doing 50% output, but each individual motor gets moved up or down from 50% according to what the stabilization wants.