Alex H.

• Exploring Technologies!
    • ProTektWar
Motor propeller axle is offset... Can I repair it?
« on: July 29, 2022, 11:47:18 am »
Due to my drone pilot inexperience, I have damaged a little bit on of the motor propeller axle,
for which now when it's turning it is making a little bit of noise when throttle, and when hand turned I can feel it hanging in one place...

Is there a way to make the axle straight again, or should I buy a new motor?
Best Regards,
Alex H.

Re: Motor propeller axle is offset... Can I repair it?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 08:19:20 pm »
I have straightened bent shafts.  Spin by hand and/or slowly by battery.  It is not easy and requires careful attention...  It is good if it looks perfect to your eye.

Smooth shaft can be gripped with pliers through small piece of paper towel folded several times.  Threaded shaft you should usually put the spinner nut on and grip that with pliers through small piece of paper towel folded several times.

If it is grinding in some place it may just be dirt in the motor.  Dirt is usually obvious.  If it is obvious, take it apart.  Sometimes it is grub screws and sometimes E clips.  Else, it may be that a magnet has come loose.  Easiest is to buy a new motor.  I usually buy motors 5 at a time just for this reason (ESCs too)...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 08:24:22 pm by TheOtherCliff »

trust

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 08:40:19 am »
Ditto on his suggestions. Another factor that I've seen is magnetic particles getting stuck inside motors on the magnets, and very hard to see. Sand is a killer, as it often has tiny iron particles that can get in there and stick to the magnets. Even just dirty areas may have tiny iron particles floating around. Very difficult to remove. Sometimes using compressed air blasted in there will move it out of the way. There are canned compressed gas "cleaners" that also might work.

Alex H.

• Exploring Technologies!
    • ProTektWar
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 11:02:14 am »
Thanks both of you for replying.

I have open up the motor, by taking the safety washer out, no magnet is out of its place, no dirt or any other parts inside it.
If I push the shaft(axle) from bottom where the safety washer is and spin the motor it will not hang anymore...

It will be good I idea to file the lower part of the rotor, maybe later I will take care of it and use it as spare part.
Meanwhile I have bought a new motor with ESC.

Just found out that I need a drone license...

Best Regards,
Alex H.