Marico

Sudden configuration loss (revo)
« on: June 17, 2022, 09:39:16 pm »
Hello,
Today my revo lost all the settings. I played with autotune and after landing (before disconnected the main battery) I needed change some settings in GCS and noticed there is no downlink with telemetry data (I use RC radio with telemetry downlink) and revo won't respond for any rc activity. After connecting it directly via usb to GCS I noticed that all settings are cleared... What the heck? How it's possible? Of course I didn't send any erase/upgrade command via GCS...

Re: Sudden configuration loss (revo)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 10:04:19 pm »
If a conflicting setting is made that isn't caught by the GCS setup or flight firmware, it can lock up and refuse to boot.  It will retry the boot.  If it tries 3 times, it gives up and loads default settings and boots with those.  It sounds like that is what happened?  You can watch the FC LEDs to see if it looks like it is booting 3 times.

If you know what setting change caused this, when it boots with default settings, you can change just the bad setting back to a good working value, then it will boot normally with <most> of the rest of your settings back the way they were.

You will loose the other settings in that same UAVO/area.  That is because any settings change stores the whole UAVO and you saved that UAVO with (at least mostly) default values.

I doubt the following, but here it is:  AutoTune does write PIDs permanently when you disarm.  I suppose it is possible that you disconnected power in the middle of a config write which could leave the "file system" in a confused state, like pulling the plug on a computer when it is writing the disk.

Marico

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 12:39:04 am »
As I wrote I didn't discontented battery because I had something to change in the config just after landing. But it's possible that it happened just after disarming, I just hit "save" after disarming and a moment later revo was "dead".
Anyway thanks for pointing out, that something wrong in config could hard reset the board.
Does "export UAV settings" save whole settings/config (just in case if again something went wrong with the config)...?

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 08:11:58 pm »
Anyway thanks for pointing out, that something wrong in config could hard reset the board.
The settings are there, but you have to follow procedure mentioned earlier to clear the bad setting and get the rest of the settings back.

Does "export UAV settings" save whole settings/config (just in case if again something went wrong with the config)...?
It does, but there are two buts:
- the FC must be booted normally, not in failsafe mode (like after 3 reboot attempts fail) (I think)
- when doing this via OpLink telemetry, it does not save the Revo class OpLink settings correctly.  It saves the GCS OpLink settings in with the rest of the Revo settings.  I consider this a bug as it used to (before 16.09) save the Revo OpLink as one would expect.  It works as expected if the FC is connected with USB.