Reversing the controls
« on: November 10, 2020, 05:23:41 pm »
The possibility to reverse the control is offered in two configuration tabs : Input and Output

To get my plane working in all flight modes, I had to clic "by random" on Roll and Pitch Reversed settings.
I didn't see a rule to get the waited effect.

Can somebody help me to understand how these selections act ?

Best regard

Re: Reversing the controls
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 07:18:18 pm »
In all cases, after correctly / successfully running the wizard / transmitter-wizard and saving the result, you should not touch the input reversing.

For a multicopter, both the input and output reversing is automatically set correctly if you use the wizard / transmitter-wizard.  (The only possible issue (I have never seen it) is for your ESC throttles to be designed backwards and that would require you to reverse all motor outputs.)

For an airplane, only the input reversing is automatically set correctly when you use the wizard / transmitter-wizard.  It is up to the builder to get control surface direction and throttle correct by reversing ONLY THE OUTPUTS for airplanes.

If you incorrectly reverse the outputs (or leave them in the incorrect direction and think that reversing the inputs will fix it) then the stabilization is backwards, so instead of seeing that it is banked left and commanding a right to straighten it out, it is commanding a left and it gets worse.  This happens in the blink of an eye and the aircraft flips faster and faster and faster until it crashes.

Of course this only is a problem for the 4 stabilized channels.  The others can be changed at will.

Two wrongs (reversings on input and output) DO NOT make a right.  This works in manual mode when the reversed inputs are immediately reversed again by the outputs, but when the FC is stabilizing, it's inputs are not reversed, but the outputs are reversed and you get instant flips till it crashes.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:35:29 pm by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 10:38:40 am »
Hi,

Thank you for your comments which leads me to a better understanding of how things works.

I'm used to check all the controls before the take-off. So I decided to do static checks before going to the airfield.
I'm in France and stuck to home untill Decembre 1st, or later.

In order to check the Rate flight mode, I do rapid perturbations of the plane attitude along the three axis. I particularly check the control surface as to verify they move in the right direction.

To check the Attitude flight mode, I gently rotate the plane along the three axis and check how the control surfaces move.

First of all, I discovered that you never has to act at the transmitter level to reverse an action.( This what I'm used to do).

Because I may have had some problems with the configuration wizard, I did some manual adjustments and finaly my configuration is good.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 12:50:50 pm »
If your airplane has both ailerons and rudder, I recommend that you leave the rudder / yaw set to Manual mode or you will be forced to make coordinated turns (start the turn with aileron, but use rudder the whole time you use elevator).

In order to check the Rate flight mode, I do rapid perturbations of the plane attitude along the three axis. I particularly check the control surface as to verify they move in the right direction.

To check the Attitude flight mode, I gently rotate the plane along the three axis and check how the control surfaces move.

Just to be clear, the right direction is the direction that fights the perturbations.  In Attitude mode the right direction is direction that tries to make the aircraft return to level.  :)

Because I may have had some problems with the configuration wizard, I did some manual adjustments and finally my configuration is good.
As I recall, you can go the HITL tab to see if your transmitter sticks work in the correct direction.  Or to re-run the transmitter wizard, you can do Configuration->Input->Start-Transmitter-Setup-Wizard.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 07:13:15 pm »
The HITL Tab shows my sticks moving in the right direction.
I have had to reverse - using the Output Tab -  Roll, Pitch, and Yaw controls to get both
- an order from the radio
- a reaction in the Attitude mode
working in the right way.

Everything is good.
In the Attitude mode, I fell the system is smooth. I will investigate whether it is possible to get a faster reaction when the attitude is very far from the reference attitude.