Hobbyking discontinued Revo & Revo Mini
« on: May 12, 2020, 10:06:59 am »
Hi,

I just noticed Hobbyking no longer sells Openpilot hardware.

So the question, what currently available hardware does Librepilot run on and where can I get it? Is there a list somewhere?

Re: Hobbyking discontinued Revo & Revo Mini
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 10:58:00 am »
Hello.  Long time since I've heard from you!  :)

Here is an old thread that might give you some places to search.
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=3562.msg24322;topicseen#msg24322

I used to buy Revos and Sparky2s from seller porcupinerc on eBay, but it looks like he stopped selling in January or so.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/porcupinerc

You can still buy revo minis on eBay.

Here is a list of shops that I wrote a while back:
  banggood.com
  xt-xinte.com
  bestofferbuy.com
  thanksbuyer.com
  goodluckbuy.com
  aliexpress.com
  chinavasion.com
  geekbuying.com
  gearbest.com
  dx.com
  buyincoins.com
  tomtop.com (on ebay too?)
  hobbyking.com (local country warehouses too)

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 12:19:33 pm »
Hello.  Long time since I've heard from you!  :)

Heh, I am occasionally popping up. Still using Librepilot and making occasional contributions (mostly bugfixes) as well as ROS integration. Sadly I didn't manage to clean that latter up enough for a pull request, but the repo is on github.

That list seems pretty outdated, what I saw don't seem to have them anymore. I found a few vendors on Ebay that have the mini (without modem) - Question is always if they are good hardware or broken ones.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 05:29:34 am »
Sadly I didn't manage to clean that latter up enough for a pull request, but the repo is on github.

?  Are you talking about DSHOT perhaps?  ?
If so, do you think your github is correct as it is and just needs to be prettied up?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 05:33:57 am by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 09:43:27 am »
Thanks to JDL for the above update.  Actually, we (www.allerc.com) sell both versions of the Revo (standard AND mini) either as F/C only or in combos... just use the Quick Find box to search for the word  'revo'.  We're a USA dealer, with same-day shipping from Arizona on all in-stock items.  We also ship outside the USA.

If this sounds too much like an advertisement, my apologies, but everything stated above is fact, not opinion.  Just trying to provide useful info for the LibrePilot audience.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 09:32:23 am »
OK by me.  :)

The question was asked, and you gave a useful answer up front with the fact that you are associated with that business.  Where I start to complain is when someone's first post starts a thread that is obviously an advert.

Alex H.

• Exploring Technologies!
    • ProTektWar
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 08:43:50 pm »
2022 and one can't find any or only few at high prices, the Revo or sparky2...

Are there other boards that are available on the mark and can be used with librepilot?
Best Regards,
Alex H.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 12:00:56 am »
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=4965.msg33721#msg33721

There are several places that sell Revo and Sparky2 in this thread.

PorcupineRC sells them for for USD $44 and $40 free shipping.  Other places I have not personally verified recently.

trust

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 03:10:22 am »
We've been buying the mini REVO flight controllers on ebay. Here's link for one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255629024375
They need to have firmware changed to latest version, but they work fine.

We've also developed some power & signal distribution PCBs that work with these controllers. I'll post about it separately.

Alex H.

• ProTektWar
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 04:35:42 pm »
Will it be fisable for someone to start again the production of these boards?
Revolution and sparky2?
Best Regards,
Alex H.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 08:09:41 am »
I am not a lawyer.  Personal beliefs on some close to legal sounding issues follow.

It seem to me that these boards are available at reasonable cost, so it sounds a bit as if you are trying to generate interest in making them, or asking permission to make them.

It's my belief that neither I nor LibrePilot have say so over anyone making them.  As I recall, be aware that they are CC NC by OpenPilot and thus you cannot legally make money from them (sell them).

Beware that dead looking projects can come back to life if there is money involved.  You try to sell boards and OpenPilot could tell you that you are legally required to pay them.

Some years back, after OpenPilot became inactive and LibrePilot was well established, LibrePilot got what was effectively a cease and desist on what was clearly simple public domain documentation, of the kind more recently published by readthedocs.org

Alex H.

• ProTektWar
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 07:24:20 pm »
It seem to me that these boards are available at reasonable cost, so it sounds a bit as if you are trying to generate interest in making them, or asking permission to make them.
Finally found one at 18$(I don't even know if these are legal, but the price looks good to me, comparing with 64Euro on amazon) + 8$ shipping, I was thinking that is oversea it will cost considerable more, but 8$ it's acceptable taking into account that I can add some other parts to my order.

Beware that dead looking projects can come back to life if there is money involved.  You try to sell boards and OpenPilot could tell you that you are legally required to pay them.
Only if the boards look the same with theirs :)... looking at the sparky project.

I'm fine with the cheap one I found...
Best Regards,
Alex H.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 09:08:53 pm »
Please share the link where you got your cheap Revo/Sparky2.  :)

18+8 is a great price for a Revo class FC !  ...  Hmmm, I do wonder if you might be getting a CC3D at that price.  If they have a picture, the easiest way for me personally to tell is by the size of the CPU chip in the middle, much smaller on CC3D.

Please come back and tell us about it when it comes in!

trust

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 06:25:44 am »
 I still have a ton of Atom flight controllers, which also work with Librepilot, but don't have a lot of the features such as connections for GPS, OPLINK, and more. We switched all of them out when we went with the mini REVOs - those still seem to be readily available. We were getting Atoms for $10-$20 each.
If all you want is stabilized flight controls, they work fine. Great for quadcopters.
I think these could handle up to 11 outputs with cPPM input. But we just used the 6 standard servo pin outputs.