Madri

CC3D working doesn't save config
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:08:17 am »
Hi, I'm new in the Forum. I've been building a 250 kit last week. The system is working and I've configured everything but, when I tried to save the config, appears a red cross and it doesn't apply. so, then it doesn't have power, resets everything.

Do you know any solution to this?

Thanks!

Re: CC3D working doesn't save config
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 06:18:43 am »
The GCS version must match the CC3D firmware version.

CC3D's usually come with old versions of OpenPilot firmware on them.

You should either download an old, matching version of OpenPilot (hard to find these days) (it's not a bad idea to test with the firmware it came with before you flash new firmware) or update the Bootloader and then the Firmware.

Do this to check your bootloader and firmware versions:
- unplug USB from FC (and all other power sources)
- go to Firmware page in GCS and press Rescue
- THEN plug in FC
- read "BL version:" and "Firmware Tag:"
- unplug USB from FC since we don't need to do anything right now
- press Help -> About LibrePilot
- read "Revision:"

You need "BL version:" 4 to run LibrePilot.  Old versions of OpenPilot often come with version 3.
"Firmware Tag:" needs to match "Revision:"

Madri

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:42:49 pm »
Hi. I’ve followed your instructions and the version looks fine 16.09 and BL4. Bad luck....

Can’t attach all screenshots...

As I told, while the batt is connected to FC everything works, esc beeps after configure, spin when I test and the controls work for a while after disconnect the usb. It’s after power off qhen everything disappears

Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:56:33 pm by Madri »

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 06:27:25 pm »
I think you are saying that it powers up OK and it works (even with just USB and no battery power), but settings disappear when you power off.

Erase settings like this:
- plug in USB
- plug in battery power too
- go to Firmware page
- press "Halt"
- wait a few seconds
- press "Erase Settings"
- press OK
- do not touch until the board reboots and connects to GCS, usually 30+ seconds, but wait 15 minutes if needed
- if "Erase Settings" did not complete, even waiting 15 minutes, then it failed at that step
- test: make a new settings change and see if is still there after power off and on
- report back here to say it worked or where it failed
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:30:37 pm by TheOtherCliff »

Madri

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 06:20:19 pm »
Hi. It didn't save the output config. In fact, appears a red circle when I tried to save, despite the ESC beep.

Would be useful some images?

Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 06:29:15 pm »
Are both GCS (Help -> About LibrePilot) and firmware (Firmware page) showing version 16.09?

Did you try the above procedure to Erase Settings?  If Erase Settings failed, where did it fail?

Madri

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 05:59:14 pm »
Update: This issue is fixed but not yet part of any officially released (release# or next) code, but the source code and some built firmwares (16.09 and some next versions) are available on the forum.  It is quoted that 3-ish second erase settings (as shown in the video) is bad and 23-ish seconds it good.  Even after the fix, these clone chips still only take 3 seconds.

Sure. I've recorded a small video with the whole sequence.

Connect usb
after boot, connect battery
then Halt and wait...
then Erase Settings, OK and wait...
After reboot, when I changed output section and save, appears the error flag (despite the ESC beeped) and it didn't save the changes.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:38:31 pm by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 08:10:00 pm »
H E L P !!!
Anybody out there with a Mac and a CC3D that can help us?  :)

@Helpers:

(Save your settings first if they are important to you since we are going to erase them :) ): Firmware -> Halt -> (wait) -> EraseSettings -> OK: This user's video shows that after pressing OK, the CC3D reboots and connects to GCS almost immediately.  2 seconds after pressing OK, FlightTime starts counting, beginning with FlightTime=2.  For me, running Linux, it takes 20-30 seconds for CC3D to reconnect to GCS.  23 seconds after pressing OK, FlightTime starts counting, beginning with FlightTime=23.  I think that is the problem (it doesn't actually issue the erase command) and one possiblity is that it does this on some versions of Macs.  Helpers: A little while (2 to 30 seconds) after pressing OK, the FlightTime will start counting again, beginning with some different number.  What is the number when it first starts counting again?

---------------------

@Madri:

What version of MacOS/OSX are you running in case that is part of it?

One quick test would be if you could try to Erase Settings on a Linux or Windows PC.

Another possibility is that your bootloader is bad.  There are other firmware teams out there that supposedly install an OpenPilot compatible bootloader, but maybe they just took BL3 and renamed it BL4?  I suggest that you reinstall official BL4.
Get bootloader (use CC3D, not Coptercontrol (CC)) from here (heading "Update bootloader" if it doesn't take you there automatically):
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/5669026/Firmware+Tab#FirmwareTab-Updatebootloader
Install bootloader then firmware, using instructions here (heading "Bootloader + firmware update example" if it doesn't take you there automatically):
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/5669026/Firmware+Tab#FirmwareTab-Bootloader+firmwareupdateexample

Another possibility is that the CC3D is actually bad.  You could look for bad soldering around the settings memory chip (medium sized with 8 large pins from what I recall).

Another very minor possibility is that your bluetooth serial device is confusing it.  You might disconnect / disable that for a test.

Your video was very helpful.  I would not have guessed that it completes immediately without actually doing the erase.

There is another way to erase the settings, but while the problem still happens, I would like to learn why it is happening.  Thank you for helping.

---------------------

Here is what it looks like when I Erase Settings CC3D on Linux.

karla

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 12:20:01 am »
27s

Madri

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 04:59:17 pm »
Hi. I did it on a Mac (book) 10.14 Mojave and with a windows 7 virtual machine but the behaviour is just the same.

I can’t see any problem with the soldering. Attach an image

Thanks!

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 04:29:42 am »
Trying different computers seems to prove that the problem is in the CC3D.

I suggest you re-download/install bootloader then firmware as described before.  I just did it, blindly following instructions and it took 4 minutes total.