mazevx

• Still Learning ...everday
Re: Naza clone GPS support
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 11:46:44 pm »
Are there any news about using these clones with the revo FC?

hwh

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 02:42:27 am »
I'm still tinkering with replacement firmware for the atmel version that I received but it probably won't be as useful as I originally hoped.  The Chinese makers are using Pawelsky's adapter Arduino code (literally the hex file he provides on rcgroups) but they're not burning the bootloader into the chip, just his code.  That means there's no way to install replacement firmware except with an Avr programmer and an adapter for the tiny non-standard connector pattern.

TheOtherCliff is working on making the revo version of the firmware understand the Naza's protocol but I don't know where he is on it.

In working with the clone Naza gps hardware I've found that it's performance is lower (a couple less sats seen) than the eBay/Banggood gps units that have separate connectors for the gps and mag.  Even the actual Naza GPS lite (I purchased one to test with) from DJI has lower performance.  There's a guy in HK selling an upgrade kit for them that replaces the lower gain antenna with a better one. I ordered one to try it but it hasn't arrived yet.  He claims it gets around 3 more sats than the stock antenna which would put it on a par with the two cable gps units.

Support for the two cable GPS units should make it into the next release so unless you need one of the ports for something else I  recommend buying one of those.

mazevx

• Still Learning ...everday
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 03:10:39 pm »
Ok thanks and whats about reprogramming dji gps module?  Sorry if I missed to read something...I own a naza and always be happy with its gps performance.
 No problem using both ports but the serial connection seems to be more effictive and safe.

hwh

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 04:05:19 pm »
The actual DJI Naza gps won't be reprogrammed since it uses an odd cpu, but when Cliff gets his code working reliably you should be able to just use it as is with either a new connector or a short adapter from the existing connector to the JST one on the revo.

If you have the full ($175 USD+) Naza gps it apparently has better performance than the Lite one I have.  And it may not make any difference in practice, I'm just noticing the difference because I have several gps units that I've been using while working on this and have switched between them. Banggood sells an adapter that does the opposite of what we need, like Pawelsky's adapter it makes the 2 cable gps units into a Naza gps clone.  I've been using one as another source of what the Naza protocol looks like.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 10:25:57 pm »
DJI GPS support is now part of 'next' and can be built and flown.

I bought a not so great DJI GPS clone on eBay for about $26.  It works, but it locks up sometimes (completely the clone's fault since there is no info to send to the GPS) and drops about 1 in 4 GPS packets before even sending them out.

Running both the authentic DJI GPS Lite and the clone in LP GCS's GPS map, I can see that the authentic GPS apparently uses a different "Dynamic Model" (see u-center.exe).  It drifts less, but probably doesn't respond to quick motions as well.  Think about how fast Phantom's fly...

Jhinta

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 07:51:47 pm »

V13 btw

i'm fighting to get this gps working, i can see mag works but gps doesnt do anything
gps-red
also dont see any gps info coming in.

witch settings are used? just dji and com at ? speed?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:27:17 pm by Jhinta »

Mateusz

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 07:59:05 pm »
What flight controller? Red gps means no fix but GPS is talking.

Jhinta

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 08:21:28 pm »
What flight controller? Red gps means no fix but GPS is talking.

revo, but i simply dont see any sats even if they are not fixed de sould apear in stream and world logo, right?
gps data stream is just empty

hwh

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 08:28:13 pm »
...wicth settings are used? just dji and com at ? speed?
Just DJI for protocol, the speed doesn't matter, DJI GPS units always talk at 115200 so that speed is hard coded in our firmware and we ignore the speed you set.

What does the GPS area on the right of the system tab show?  It's fields work and should show fix type, sats used, and coordinates.  The globe showing the satellites and the area below that shows signal levels still hasn't been fixed, there's an open issue for it isn't sent by the GPS so it doesn't work.   The tiny map at the bottom does show the location the gps is sending.

None of the uavobjects that show satellites, prn, etc work either, they're in the same open issue the DJI GPS doesn't send any of that data.

I have one of that same GPS, it was one of the ones we used to test the code.

edit: corrected about non-working stuff above.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:16:12 pm by hwh »

Jhinta

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 08:32:32 pm »
...wicth settings are used? just dji and com at ? speed?
Just DJI for protocol, the speed doesn't matter, DJI GPS units always talk at 115200 so that speed is hard coded in our firmware and we ignore the speed you set.

What does the GPS area on the right of the system tab show?  It's fields work and should show fix type, sats used, and coordinates.  The globe showing the satellites and the area below that shows signal levels still hasn't been fixed, there's an open issue for it.   The tiny map at the bottom does show the location the gps is sending.

None of the uavobjects that show satellites, prn, etc work yet either, they're in the same open issue.

all data is just zero , but mag is working
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:43:05 pm by Jhinta »

hwh

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 08:44:26 pm »
Do you have a battery hooked up to power the GPS?  USB alone won't work.  What are the leds on the GPS itself blinking?

Jhinta

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 08:49:36 pm »
Do you have a battery hooked up to power the GPS?  USB alone won't work.  What are the leds on the GPS itself blinking?

yep and , red blinking ,, blue only at start then off

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 08:50:46 pm »
Looks like the GPS side do not receive sats or time.
If Mag data is ok, the serial link is fine.

Put the GPS outside wait some led activity and go back indoor, check the time data first.
If updated, it works.

Please note the time is buggy but should not be 2013 year.

Jhinta

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 09:17:52 pm »
Looks like the GPS side do not receive sats or time.
If Mag data is ok, the serial link is fine.

Put the GPS outside wait some led activity and go back indoor, check the time data first.
If updated, it works.

Please note the time is buggy but should not be 2013 year.

no effect time still 2013 and no sats seen

hwh

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 09:23:14 pm »
I corrected my post above, the open issue is about the GPS version not the sat data.  The DJI GPS doesn't send individual sat info so it will never show.  It only sends the number of sats it's currently using.

If the blue led isn't blinking then the GPS hardware isn't seeing even one satellite.  The blue led blinks whenever the GPS can see at least one satellite well enough to read the time from it.

LP will never update until the GPS locks on at least one satellite.  When it does the date/time should update first.