vgwit

Some questions about Rate and Axis Lock
« on: August 25, 2018, 04:55:25 pm »
Hi,
I've upgraded from CC3D to Revo mini and encountered two problems/questions.
But first I'd like to clarify for myself difference between these two modes.
LP doc says "Axis Lock - Like Rate with more 'locking'". Not quite clear for me.
The questions is will quad in Rate mode not only stop changing its attitude after releasing Roll/Pitch/Yaw sticks (to zero) but also resist external forces? If it olny stops changing its attitude but wind may turn it in any way then probably (I presume) Axis Lock should help to avoid it.
Actually I didn't compare these modes on CC3D. But from my experince with Revo I couldn't feel any difference between these two modes.
On CC3D I used taking my quad off from hand. I did arming with quad resting on the ground, waited 3-5 sec for gyro zeroing, took it by hand and increased throttle untill flying. It was very easy. With Revo it is way to more difficult. Small turns in Yaw while holding quad by hand results in attempt to compensate it in both Rate and Axis Lock modes. I do not feel any difference. And I did not feel this behaviour with CC3D.
All my settings in Revo set to defaults.
Thanks in advance for comments.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:17:56 pm by vgwit »

Re: Some questions about Rate and Axis Lock
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 11:13:30 pm »
Rate and Axis Lock both resist forces that oppose what the user inputs in the transmitter, including staying still when stick is centered.  The difference is that Axis Lock will go back to where it was before if you force it to move.  Rate will not actually go back.

I can't tell you why Revo feels different than CC3D.  If it is configured the same, it should feel very much the same.  If you have Axix Lock, it will fight more when you move the yaw while holding the quad.  If you have higher PIDs it will fight more.  If you have higher max rotation rates configured it will fight more.