sam028

Micro minimOSD: data flickering when motors are powered on
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:56:59 pm »
Hello,

Using a Revo board I connected and configured a micro minimOSD.
All is fine (I can see the horizon and various information) till the motors are running and then basically disappears. The video signal itself still good.
I tried to move be minimOSD board as far as I can from the motors (temporarily glued on the OPLink antenna) but not change.
Is there's a trick to solve this, electrically shielding some wires, not using using the 5V coming from the Revo port, ...?

Thx,
Sam

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Micro minimOSD: data flickering when motors are powered on
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 06:59:35 pm »
Use separate power or well filtered +5V source to power the OSD.
This occurs when Esc uses active braking or similar.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:48 pm »
It's also possible that this is a mag issue such that the motor wires make mag fields that confuse the mag sensor.

Are you using INS13 or Basic AttiEstAlgo?  Basic doesn't have this issue.  What flight mode are you using?  Attitude mode would be about impossible using INS13 if mags were so bad as to disappear from OSD.  So mags might cause it if you are using INS13 and Rate flight mode for instance.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:39:50 pm »
I think OSD incrustation disappearing while running motors has nothing related with attitude estimation or mag sensor.
Just need a good filtered power source, able to provides around 500mA @5V for OSD only and a little more for board.

sam028

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 05:43:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I plugged the MinimOSD directly to the PDB and there it's better but still not good enough.
I'll try in adding a capacitor on the MinimOSD.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 06:00:26 pm »
It may be that there is some combination where the battery cannot keep up.  It cannot put out full voltage with full load.  Battery too small, battery old, props too big, motor KV too big.  Capacitor will not fix this.

What is resting battery voltage and what does battery voltage decrease to when this happens?

sam028

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:21:32 pm »
It may be that there is some combination where the battery cannot keep up.  It cannot put out full voltage with full load.  Battery too small, battery old, props too big, motor KV too big.  Capacitor will not fix this.

What is resting battery voltage and what does battery voltage decrease to when this happens?

I don't have the current sensor installed yet so I can say exactly but the batteries are fine IMHO, and barely new (1800 mah/65C).
It's more a electromag noise problem.

Tongala

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 03:56:47 am »
Not sure what camera you are using, had similar problem with Runcam Eagle 2 with the metal body.
It would work fine when not bolted to frame,when in frame it was earthed and severe interference.
If you have this camera have a look here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2694790-Let-s-talk-about-Eagle-2-Eagle-2-Pro/page16

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 12:58:00 pm »
Proper LC filter is what you need there. I have seen people put just capacitor, but imo that is not good enough. Cap alone can probably fix mild issues, but with problems you have, you need proper filtering.  Been there done that. Numerous times.

sam028

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 04:06:31 pm »
Proper LC filter is what you need there. I have seen people put just capacitor, but imo that is not good enough. Cap alone can probably fix mild issues, but with problems you have, you need proper filtering.  Been there done that. Numerous times.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm building FC filters, one for the 12V camera (RunCam split 2), it won't hurt, and the other one for the OSD.