strange FPV vtx power problem
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:09:42 pm »
i have two aomway 200mw video transmitters. today i tried to wire one up as followed. On the transmitter the ground and power wire ran onto a jst connecter onto a jst to balance lead adapter and then onto the battery. But this didn't seem to work. i tested the voltage coming out the wires as it just came out of the jst connecter and i was getting a voltage. so the balance to jst system is and has been working fine before. i tested to see if both the vtxs would give no sign of life when i plugged them in a nothing happened on either. i then proceeded to just get to ends of wire that was coming of the jst connecter and just place them on the small pins in the plug on the vtx, this powered the vtx and it turned on as normal.

battery -- balance lead from battery --- balance to jst adapter -- jst connecter -- small 2 pin plug into vex. - no work

battery -- balance lead from battery --- balance to jst adapter -- just connecter -- bare wires onto 2 pins in vtx - works and powers vtx

Re: strange FPV vtx power problem
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:37:02 pm »
Almost all LiPos with 2 or more cells have a normal balance connector.  The most negative wire in the balance connector (usually black) is directly connected to the thick black negative wire.  The most positive wire in the balance connector (usually red, but can be other colors) is directly connected to the thick red positive wire.

The most negative balance connector wire is always all the way on one side of the balance connector and the most positive is always all the way on the other side of the balance connector.  They are never the wires in the middle of the connector.

If that isn't it, you simply have a bad or reversed connection somewhere.  Maybe a small pin bent over inside the shell.  Maybe the wrong brand and the pins aren't long enough.  Maybe you need to push harder to make it fully seat.

(With it all connected via balance connector) Get a volt meter set to 12 volts or the next higher volts scale and test voltages starting at battery balance connector and working your way out till you can't detect voltage any more.  Learning to use a volt meter is fairly important in this hobby.

Re: strange FPV vtx power problem
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:27:39 pm »
This has now been solved just found a different connecter that ended up working, must've been the connecter size.