Battery discharged
« on: August 22, 2017, 09:12:33 pm »
Hi every one.

I recently left the battery conected to the quadrotor, at less for 2 days.
I tryied to charge the battery with de balance charguer ImaxB6 but it shows an short Error.

Do you know how to fix the battery? or is it completly dead?

Brian

Re: Battery discharged
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:25:42 pm »
It's dead. LiPo batteries don't like being discharged too low.

Even if you were able to revive it, it probably wouldn't be safe to use/charge it. It would likely puff up and become dangerous.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 03:04:55 am »
One time i over drained the s out of a battery and when i put it  on the charger go an to low error too. Im going to tell you what i did.  since the voltage is so low and chargers are programed off of voltage turn your charger to a  lower cell battery cell count and charger it untill it above the minimum requirements of the original battery cell count.  Like if its a 3s and reading  7 volts  change the charger to a 2s and charger it untill its high enough for the charger to reconize that it a 3s battery and they switch  the charger back to what ever the battery really is... And i warn you do this at your own risk and do it outside where nothing is going to catch fire and be prepared and watch it the whole time and also do a regular charger not a balanced. So it wont require the balance plug and then it will check cells and know something is wrong and not charge. Just regular charger at no more than 1c... It worked for me good luck if you dare... Also be safe first sign of 🔥 turn unplug asap

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 07:11:48 am »
I have done this too.  If it isn't badly dead and you do this very quickly it will work once or maybe twice, but the battery will not be as good as it was.

Buy some lipo alarms, set them to 3.6 (volts per cell) and use them every time (even "just testing").

Lipo alarms - USD $1.15 shipped - watches each cell voltage individually, through the balance connector - just plug one in there and leave it there for the flight
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Lipo-Battery-Low-Voltage-Alarm-1S-8S-Buzzer-Indicator-Checker-Tester-LED-Best-/282397825614

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 08:09:18 am »
If you over-discharged your LiPo, the conducting material inside the cells will start dissolving into the electrolyte, it will also start plating electrodes causing internal shorts within the battery. If you try charging such battery you may initiate thermal runaway. Once shorts happen, damage inside at first unnoticeable will continue, battery will puff quicker, it will have higher internal resistance and will continue building up shorts and getting more dangerous every use. Just dispose such a battery, especially that you had it discharged for longer, it's not safe.

I suggest you set your charger into discharge mode, then once discharged return it to the nearest battery/explosives/unsafe materials storage place.