Brunosanta

• I understand it all but know nothing
Return to Base and fail safe- Revolution board no GPS
« on: December 03, 2015, 03:43:12 pm »
Hello Guys, I was wondering if any of you can help me to understand the Return to base better. the complex stuff I guess I got already, now I need the simple stuff.

How can I set a min throttle or altitude hold in case of signal loss? or even better, altitude hold for a minute, and then a landing( throttle to a percentage)

Can I have a return to base, not having a GPS, only having the revolution board ( that might be stupid question) but I guessed somehow with the compass and calculations. if so , how can I configure it?

Thank you and shout out to this project, I felt lost when I got my revo board and the wiki from openpilot was down!
Everybody is only optimistic on the social networks.. being real is hard nowadays

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Return to Base and fail safe- Revolution board no GPS
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:59:51 pm »
Hi,

You can setup your Receiver failsafe for some stick/switches position.
Auto Landing is supported so you can setup Receiver failsafe with flightmode set to "Land" or Altitude Hold.
All autonomous features need GPS sensor.

Without any Gps you can setup a 39% Throttle in your receiver failsafe (knowing you hover at 40% for example) and you may see a "soft" landing without any extended feature.

The onboard failsafe is applied when something wrong appends : bad Rx connection or stop working. So no input signal received by Fc.

Brunosanta

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:07:04 pm »
Thank you for the answer.. I have set the fail safe o on the TX already to 29 since I rover at about 31.
Could you tell me a step by step to set the fail safe ( motors spinning at a percentage lets say 29%) on the CGS?

thank you in advance.
Everybody is only optimistic on the social networks.. being real is hard nowadays

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 02:24:11 pm »
Onboard failsafe can be set here in UavoBrowser:

In my opinion you should not set any throttle here or you can get scary results and lost some fingers.
This onboard failsafe should be triggered only when rcInput is lost, like when wire is disconnected.... should not appends in flight.

Brunosanta

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 03:47:25 pm »
I hapenned jus to see another thread on failsafe where the guys mention that my quad could run the motor forever till baterry is dead as well as stuck somewhere and burn ESCS and motors.. I am better not setting it.

I have already asked in the other thread if I can set the failsafe as in like, in case of signall loss from oplink switch to altitude hold for X seconds, cause I have only barometer no gps

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:31:14 pm »
You set this (ATtitude mode with ALtitudeHold (better yet ALtitudeVario)) up as a mode on your flight switch.  In either case you need to set FailsafeChannel.Throttle to be about +0.4 (40%) (leave the others at 0.0) so it is coming down level, slowly, in AV and so the motors don't stop in AH.  Note that the AV throttle stick and this value you are setting always center at exactly 50% = maintain altitude, regardless of what throttle you use for hover.  Also note that if you have a very overpowered or underpowered quad, you should adjust some ThrustLimits.  Test your mode 3 with the transmitter on to make sure it does what you think, and when you have tested it every other way but in real life, test it low to ground by switching the transmitter off.

Say you have a 3 position flight switch and this is the last position (3).  Subtract one from that number (3-1=2) and put that number in the field that @f5soh told you about (FailsafeFlightModeSwitchPosition).

Dangerous:  I describe some things to consider, but I can't honestly recommend that anyone actually do this.
Hopefully your transmitter will start to work once you get close and you can shut the motors off that way, but your transmitter might go dead and then...
This is very similar to Landing mode, but you don't get the automatic motor shut off at touchdown, so beware and develop a plan on how to safely get the battery unplugged with the motors still running, perhaps with it thrashing around on the ground or in a tree or long grass.  Dangerous to say the least, but I for instance run low powered low RPM quads with plastic props and I would do it (do as I say, not as I do), rather than wait for it to burn up or the battery to be damaged, especially with gloves and a coat on.  Remember that you will have Attitude stabilization enabled and it will fight you to stay upright and there may be a motor/ESC acting like fireworks when you do it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:49:10 pm by TheOtherCliff »

Brunosanta

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 02:19:32 pm »
Hi Guys, I am really sad..
I hacked my turnigy to work with the oplink, for that I have a transistor to accept the oplink in the traniner port.
my batttery level was 9.7, suddenly my tx faded without explanation.. my quad fell of 10 m flat on the ground, and my failf safe clearly didnt work. haha.. now I will have to rebuild the quad

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 06:04:49 pm »
Sorry.  Maybe your failsafes (RC and FC) were not set correctly?  Also, it is possible that as the battery voltage dropped the transmitter failed first, but the OpLink continued to function.

If this setup had previously been tested by switching transmitter off, and worked, then this may be what happened.

Brunosanta

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:42:31 pm »
That is true, the transmitter has failed first.. like the battery pretty much died. this weekend I might be able to test again, already rebuilding it.
thanks theOthercliff