Kof

Is my roll stabilization reversed
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:55:17 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've just finished building my first quad and need a little help with stabilization.  Pitch stabilization feels just fine - when I pitch the quad away from level by hand I can feel it push back against the motion as it attempts to return to level.  However, when I roll the quad by hand it pushes in the direction of the roll instead of against it.

When trying to take-off, the slightest roll and the quad flips rapidly in the direction of the roll.

In the HITL view, I can see the horizon tracks movement of the quad correctly.

I am using GCS 16.09 and a CC3D controller.  Pretty much everything is at the defaults from the vehicle configuration wizard.  The only thing changed was on the stabilization basic tab - I enabled "Zero the integral when throttle is low" as the tool-tip suggested it might help with flipping during a slow take-off.

Hope someone can help.  I'm new to Libre Pilot and any help is much appreciated!  And let me know if I need to post any further config info.

Re: Is my roll stabilization reversed
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 07:27:17 pm »
Do you have the FC mounted normally, right side up with arrow forward (ESC/servo connectors on the right side)?  Have you made any adjustments to "RotateVirtual"?

Roll should look backwards in the FlightData PFD/HUD.  Pitch should look correct.  If not, post back.

Try swapping your ESC control leads NE with NW and SE with SW to reverse the roll stabilization if the PFD is correct (roll looks backwards is correct).

Then we will see if your yaw is backwards.

This is why it is critical to get motor direction correct, prop type on the motors correct, ESCs plugged in the correct places, board mounted normally (not rotated, etc.).

Kof

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:52:22 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  The FC is mounted normally and I've not adjusted "RotateVirtual."

I'll check everything else, try the lead swap and get back to you.

Kof

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:06:00 am »
OK, roll does not look backwards in the FlightData PFD/HUD.

When I first got the FC board, a few weeks before finishing the build, I connected the FC to GCS and thought it odd that roll in the HUD looked backwards. I didn't adjust RotateVirtual, but had "corrected" the reversed roll with gyro_scale[X] to -1.

This explains why roll stabilization was reversed.  Now that the HUD rolls backwards again, stabilization is working as it should and I've been able to fly the quad.

Thanks again for your help, you got it working!