chase

CopterControl help needed
« on: June 25, 2017, 06:06:12 pm »
Hi,

Like many I'm new to the forum. What brings me here is i picked up a couple legacy BlueSky frames, a Y6 and Spyder Quad frame. Both had been crashed. A simple replacement of a few the arms and other minor things should have the frames themselves ready again.

Onboard both is CopterControl rev UG boards. Both it seems are fully functional. At least they both powered up, the Y6 giving the ready signal beeps since it has motors.

Both missing receivers, which i have a 12 channel receiver on the way that i can use with these hopefully. So that, temporarily takes care of that.

I think there's something else missing however.
There's two ports, one bird has two cables coming from, the other no cables came with for those ports.

There's also some mini bullet connectors up near the Coptercontrol board. i can't figure out where they go. I thought they might connect to the esc's but unless I've missed something, the ESC's are already connected.

I've uploaded some pics.
The two birds
The bundle of wires i believe go to the receiver.
The two cables from the two ports i don't know what they go to.
The 3 bullet connectors i don't know where they connect.
And the one CopterControl board i removed from the Y6.

As mentioned, everything is powering up. But I'm lost from this point.

I'm hoping to get some direction as how to proceed from this point. Any help is certainly appreciated.

While at it, can someone direct me to the cable i need to connect the CopterControl board to my laptop? If like to check firmware and update it if needed.

Thanks
- chase -

Re: CopterControl help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:51:40 pm »
Receivers can either use PWM = 1 signal wire per channel (additionally +5V and ground) or they can use 1 signal wire for all channels (additionally +5V and ground) (all other protocols).

Most people now days use a receiver signal protocol that uses 1 wire.  The connector with 8 pins is usually used to connect to the receiver and do PWM or some of the 1 wire protocols.

The two 4-wire ports are used for many things.  They can do some 1-wire receiver protocols.  They can connect to a GPS (on CC3D the GPS is only useful for displaying your position via telemetry).  They can connect to OSD, or telemetry.

These are the typical uses for CC3D.

chase

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 07:38:21 pm »
Thanks.
I've since found the Wiki on the Copter Control board.

From what I'm reading, and from what I'm understanding the CopterControl Board uses an external GPS/telemetry. module. Whereas the CC3D board has gps on board.

So for my board, the CC, I'd use the FlexiPort to connect an external GPS/ telemetry. And the Main port for GCS. If I'm understanding it correctly.

At this point, configuration etc is over my head until i can wrap my brain around the terms, etc, etc.

I haven't found reference to the actual cable to connect it to my laptop in the wiki. It just says connect via usb. What's the exact cable etc needed and where do i get it?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:45:26 pm »
CC board is older than CC3D and uses analog gyro/accels.
You cannot add a GPS to a CC due to memory limitations. (Less memory available compared to CC3D)
I'm not sure the CC still working with 16.09, should works...

CC3D can support GPS only for telemetry/OSD purposes (not navigation).

USB cable is a "Mini USB" cable

chase

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:22:22 pm »
I'm not following about connecting a GPS to the CC board. Probably because it shows in the wiki that's what the port is for.. 

if i can't connect a GPS to the CC board.. what's it for?

Feel stupid about the cable to connect.. Just looked at the board again and saw the usb port on the underside between the Flexi and Main Port.
I have a KK2 board that requires a special device to connect it to the comp... I was expecting something similar.
I did say i was new to these. Lol

Well.. Is it a waste of time even using the CC boards? What can you connect to it...?

Also.. the rx i have coming isn't PPM it's DSSS. Can it still be used with the CC Board?
It's a Devo RX1202, i had it bundled with a Devo 12E that i want to put the Deviation firmware on. ( I'm hoping to using it with some Blade and other birds i have. I'm tired of having to use a different tx for every model.)

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 10:28:37 pm »
CC is a pretty old acro board, MainPort/FlexiPort can be used for Telemetry output (OSD) or others inputs like Sbus, Dsm... nothing more.

With your receiver you need to use the PWM input, one wire per channel.

chase

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:47:25 am »
Thanks,

Yeah.. i knew yet were older.  I was just hoping to make use of them. Especially since i have two of them.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a manual for the Devo RX1202 so using the PWM input... At the moment, i don't have a clue how to go about it.

Maybe another inexpensive rx, with manual, might be a better choice. Something i can bind with after the Deviation install.

Totally new to build your own quads so...???

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 03:44:06 am »
You plug in one connector per channel, just like plugging servos in to the receiver.  The connector with 3 wires isn't really special except they decided to put power on the first channel.  They could put power on any channel to power the receiver.

chase

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 03:57:36 am »
So the fact my RX is DSSS and not PPM doesn't matter?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:04:13 am »
DSSS is related to the frequency spectrum usage and/or protocol for the radio link.
Nothing related to the output protocol you have in receiver pins and FC need to decode: in your case PWM.

chase

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 02:07:10 pm »
Thanks for the explanation.
I was watching a video which mentioned the Devo RX1202 want PPM so... I'm a little confused as how to tell.
I definitely am hitting a learning curve here... Lol

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 02:41:41 pm »
Take a look at documentation if you have something about receiver outputs with PPM ?
Looking at receiver picture there is nothing related to PPM output in all the marking.

So choose PWM, except if someone tell your there is a hidden PPM output or other custom firmware for your RX1202.

chase

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 12:33:08 am »
Ok.
Yeah... No documentation on the RX1202 found yet. Others have mentioned it as well.

A video on binding the RX1202 to the Devo 12E mentioned it wasn't PPM.

It should arrive this week so I'll have it mounted on one of these birds and go from there.