Dead gyros?
« on: May 24, 2017, 11:43:11 pm »
I am now having to get a 4th cc3d board due to gyros and accels no longer outputting data. There is an alarm for stabilization and attitude that prevent the board from ever arming. The stats page of GCS shows flatlined gyro and accel data on two boards and the third board has no lines for data.

Any idea why they keep dying?  Am I the cause or what?

Re: Dead gyros?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 04:46:37 am »
Maybe do File -> Export Settings to save settings to a file for later.

Then Firmware -> Halt (wait a minute) Erase Settings (follow instructions)

Then see if the alarms are still there.  If alarms are still there and disabling "Wait For Board Steady" (I don't remember exact words) doesn't help, then it sounds like you have a bad board.

Four good boards in a row that went bad is too much for coincidence?  Maybe hard crashes into pavement caused it?

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:33:21 pm »
Maybe do File -> Export Settings to save settings to a file for later.

Then Firmware -> Halt (wait a minute) Erase Settings (follow instructions)

Then see if the alarms are still there.  If alarms are still there and disabling "Wait For Board Steady" (I don't remember exact words) doesn't help, then it sounds like you have a bad board.

Four good boards in a row that went bad is too much for coincidence?  Maybe hard crashes into pavement caused it?
No crashes to pavement.  Ive had a few crashes in the beginning before i flew a simulator but that was a diff board.  Anyway the times I have crashed hard were with a f4 revolution fc and the fc never got broken. The dead gyros arent crash related now that you mentioned it.   

So any other ideas? Cheap cc3d clones maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:16:02 pm »
I would just say that I have one cc3d atom with dysfunctional gyro too. But I cannot say I spent too much time investigating as I was troubleshooting another issue, so replacement board was easier. I can take a look, but no promises as atom has no debug pot so I cannot see exactly  what is happening inside.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 10:54:53 pm »
I would just say that I have one cc3d atom with dysfunctional gyro too. But I cannot say I spent too much time investigating as I was troubleshooting another issue, so replacement board was easier. I can take a look, but no promises as atom has no debug pot so I cannot see exactly  what is happening inside.
At $13 i can just get a new one but I want to know why they die.  Is it just a cheap board?  The $13 atoms died but the $50 revolution did not.  I imagine the atom was some crap clone from china.  Opensource clones? ha! 

Dead gyros?
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 11:23:37 pm »
The revolution board has this image on the sales page on readymaderc.com.   Maybe ideal sensor placement and mechanical stress might be the issue with atom boards. 

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 04:39:42 pm »
save settings, erase settings.  does it still do it?
reflash firmware.  does it still do it?  If so, the board is bad, not just some setting or code corrupted.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:58:03 pm »
save settings, erase settings.  does it still do it?
reflash firmware.  does it still do it?  If so, the board is bad, not just some setting or code corrupted.
That makes sense. But I will say that one board lost gyros flashing back to librepilot from the dRonin firmware.