Stuck mid-boot
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:40:27 am »
Hi guys,

First-time poster ... and a little frustrated with myself right now. I bought a KingKong 260 with CC3D, set it up with the latest LibrePilot, and did a few test flights today. It was good, but I was unable to save settings after I went through the initial wizard, and I wanted to make some tweaks to the sensitivities. I noticed that I should be on BL 4 for the latest 16.09 firmware. So I started the process and then I think I hosed it up.

I went through the Rescue and load process. It completed successfully. I think I should have pressed Boot immediately, but for some reason I noticed that it still showed BL 3 and figured I'd see if that would be corrected by unplugging and connecting again. And now I'm stuck.

When I plug it in to power, it comes on and goes into boot loader mode (green plus slowly pulsing blue). The problem is that when I plug it into my computer it just sets it up as an HID device - no CopterControl Virtual COM Port like before. So the GCS can't connect and continue the process. I've done a bunch of searching but can't seem to find a straight answer on how to proceed.

Is there any way to get it to connect using USB at this point? Do I need a different connection of some kind in order to get connected to it? Thanks in advance!

Bill

utoedter

• Frickeln und mehr
Re: Stuck mid-boot
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:02:40 am »
Pulsating blue LED shows a running Cc3D. I would uninstall the CC3D from the USB Configuration, there is a usefull tool called usbdeview which i use to clean up USB config from time to time. Must be run as Administrator and with the cc3d unplugged.

Udo

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 06:38:05 am »
Thanks for that. I will try usbdeview and see what it says. In case it's interesting, I plugged the CC3D into two Win 10 machines (my "preferred" beater machine for hobby use is XP, and that's where I started) and neither of the Win 10 machines saw it as anything other than an HID device. Just to be sure I'm using the right description, the blue light slowly fades in and out - not the normal blinking it did when it was otherwise healthy.

Also perhaps of value, I found that the KingKong came with a JST-SH lead with connects that will fit a USB->Serial adapter. I have a number of those for FBL heli stuff, chargers, etc. So if it might help to connect a serial line to the main port on the CC3D, I should be able to do that fairly easily. Just trying not to make matters worse at this point. :) Let me know your thoughts.

Bill

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:08:44 am »
Fading LED is the bootloader.

FYI: When you run the "bootloader updater" it overwrites the regular firmware, because it is also a "regular firmware" that happens to write the bootloader when it runs.  So after flashing the bootloader updater (and running it so it can write the bootloader), you must flash the normal firmware (using the rescue procedure of pressing the button and THEN plugging it in to USB).  Did you flash the regular firmware after the bootloader updater?
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Firmware+Rescue

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 07:33:56 am »
No, I didn't do anything after the bootloader. I unplugged it, and since then it's been unable to connect via USB. I'm going to try to get a connection on the main port.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 08:57:37 am »
So you simply need to do that rescue procedure to put the regular firmware back on it.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:03:07 am »
I'm going to bed way too late, but I'm going to be happy.

You're right, I did just need to do the Rescue routine.
- I can't say for sure whether removing drivers via usbdeview was helpful, but I did that first.
- I then unplugged everything, started LibrePilot completely fresh, hit Rescue, and plugged in.
- It immediately showed that it recognized my board. (Woohoo!)
- None of the automatic Upgrade buttons worked, but I was able to download the firmware file and load it.
- I then unplugged, plugged in again, and it now went through the USB Virtual COM Driver process.
- After that I was able to connect and it still had my settings from before.

Unfortunately I still have my original mystery surrounding saving settings. Maybe this is user error?
- I want to change the Flight Mode and Settings Bank options under Input -> Flight Mode Switch Settings.
- When I connect, go there, make changes and hit Save, I get the Save with the red X.
- If I disconnect and reconnect, sure enough nothing was saved.

I just now got it to work, but it seemed curious
- I connected and went to Input.
- Ran the Transmitter Setup wizard again. (Not really changing anything.)
- It then dropped me into the Input tab to setup FailSafe.
- I made the desired changes under Flight Mode Switch Settings, and Save then worked.
- I was also able to go to the Output tab and make some changes to the Neutral values (which had also failed to save previously), and Save worked again.

To make sure I wasn't crazy, I reconnected and tried again without going through the wizard. Again I got the red X. Is this a known situation? Is there something I should be doing to put it into a writable state that's easier than going through an entire Wizard process?

Thanks,
Bill

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 04:50:05 am »
OK, I found the answer to my final issue. The problem was that I picked "Always Armed" and the software won't save to an armed board. Going through the wizard set it to "Always Disarmed" first, and that persisted after the wizard was done. Of course that safety feature makes sense (in addition to the Throttle Hold that I configure on all of my electrics), and perhaps a future software version will call it out explicitly when you hit Save.

I think I'm good to fly/tune/repeat. Thanks for the help getting me up the learning curve. I love learning, even if the process can be trying at times.  ;)

Bill