shaven

Flight mode check and set-up
« on: November 23, 2015, 11:05:11 pm »
Hello

Quad is a ZMR 250 - Bang Good kit.  Flight controller is CC3D and my TX is a Specktrum DX6.

I just want to check my understanding of the flight modes.  I've read the documentation and Attitude means that when the controls are neutral the quad will return to level and rate mode means the controls are not neutral.  So for beginners like me attitude mode = good.  Is this right?

Secondly I used the vehicle wizard and I have three flight modes that I can select 0,1,2.  It defaulted to this and is this ok?  Is switch position 0 right for a learner?  Should I change the default flight mode count to 2, assign a new switch with only 2 positions?

Switch pos 0
Roll = Attitude
Pitch = Attitude
Yaw = Axislock

Switch pos 1
Roll = Attitude
Pitch = Attitude
Yaw = Rate

Switch pos 3
Roll = Rate
Pitch = Rate
Yaw = Rate

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks, Neal

shaven

Re: Flight mode check and set-up
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 11:30:29 pm »
As a follow on I've just experimented with the GCS manual setup manual calibration.  I can't change the switch settings from the default number of 3 is that normal?  When I move my switch position on the TX the three positions only activate positions two and three, not position 1 unless this is a graphical error?  Is this normal or should I be getting a clear switch across all three positions?  I've changed position 2 to the same as 1 so its all rate mode with axislock for yaw.  So have I frigged it or is there something wrong here?

xpantz

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 11:57:54 pm »
Correct about Attitude (self level) and Rate (stays where you put it)

You can change the number of flight modes  from 1 to 6 and assign any switch or a combination of switches to access all modes.

If you have a look in GCS config with you copter powered and radio on you can see the flight mode change as you move the switches... as long as it's getting that right then so are you.

For the moment you probably only need 2 modes.  One for SL and one for Rate.  It won't hurt to have a third... maybe put it on a different bank and have some different settings for Flight mode 3.

Also Axislock is considered better for YAW in general.  I make all yaw Axislock.  (actually I'm pretty much Axislock on everything)

Switch pos 0
Roll = Attitude
Pitch = Attitude
Yaw = Axislock

Switch pos 1    (maybe swap this one to bank2 and change some settings... more aggressive etc)
Roll = Attitude
Pitch = Attitude
Yaw = Axislock

Switch pos 3
Roll = Rate
Pitch = Rate
Yaw = Axislock

shaven

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 11:58:13 pm »
I just re-tried the manual set-up and the following happened:

Safety - only do this with the props removed (good citizen bit)

1. The control sliders on the GCS went crazy but this is normal until you register an input with the controls then they calibrate.  I checked for correct orientation by switching to the stick graphic.
2.  The flight mode switch seems to have sorted itself and now all 3 switch positions respond correctly with the GCS.
3.  Make sure you put the throttle in neutral as well when you save e.g. not in the closed position.

On the first attempt I couldn't get the board to arm, not sure why it might be because I didn't neutral the position of the throttle stick.  I has set the arming to yaw left.

I'll hover test tomorrow.

shaven

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 12:00:34 am »
Thanks Xpants - that makes sense, thanks for the help  ;)

Zrisst

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 12:18:40 am »
Mixing up "Stabs" with "setting banks" is a good idea, you can set a very crispy quad without loosing auto level.

Any case is healthy to keep a config easy to fly and land for the case of loosing control.  ;D
Algunos salían a buscar la inmortalidad con tanta intensidad que no volvían.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (de los pilotos de prueba).

Lo-res

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 03:54:53 pm »
Nice littler series on painless360 starting on this