During Configuration Transmitter Calibration Fails
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:41:26 pm »
When the configuration wizard started the transmitter calibration, Libre Pilot was not detecting any activity from my transmitter. This happened at the point where you are asked to move the control sticks one at a time. When I moved the throttle as requested, nothing happens.

Flight Control Board:    CC3d Atom
Transmitter:                Quanum i8 by Hobby King
LibrePilot Version:        16.09

NOTE:
I tried this procedure with the battery connected and disconnected with the same results. When the battery was connected, the receiver's status light indicated it was on, and bound to the receiver.

Any hlep will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:43:59 pm by Willyd57 »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: During Transmitter Calibration Fails
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 07:36:55 pm »
Hi, welcome.

Before starting the TXWizard you need to see some activity when you move sticks in RC Input tab > Receiver Activity.

Using your receiver the best option is use the PPM (one wire) connection.

And configure the hardware page as follow :

Every change in Hardware tab need a reboot, this mean remove all power (usb and battery) and connect again.
In all cases the battery (external +5V) is needed to power the receiver, USB port do not power devices connected to the board.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 03:39:07 am »
Thank you for your reply, I know your time is valuable to you.

OK, I understand what you said except, I don't understand what "OneShot" is or means. I configured things to use PPM+NoOneShot. Also, my CC3D receiver cable is different than the one in the Wiki documentation. In the Wiki, the first connector going to my RC receiver PPM port has wires coming from pins 1,2, &3 (the Black, Red, and White wires). Where the black wire is ground, red is VCC and white is a PWM signal wire. My cable does use the black, red, and white wires, but the white wire is coming from pin 5 instead of 3. See attachment.

If indeed I need to do a PWM+OneShot configuration, then I need to remove the existing white wire from the CC3D receiver connector and replace it with the wire from pin 8 which in my case is yellow.  All other CC3D receiver connectors / wires are used.

If that is correct, let me know and I will make it happen.

Thanks again
Bill
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:36:39 am by Willyd57 »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:29:14 am »
Colors doesn't matter, simply trust the wire position.

Oneshot allow output more reactive for Multirotors and can be used with controllers flashed with BLHeli firmware.
Of course you can configure outputs like you want using "PPM_Pin8+OneShot": PWM, PWMsync or Oneshot output.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 05:42:36 pm »
Thanks for the explanation of OneShot.

In my current configuration, pins 1, 2, and 5 are being connected to the PWM port on my RC receiver. What I need to know is if that configuration is causing my transmitter to fail calibration as stated in my original post. When the configuration wizard takes me to the part that asks me to move the throttle stick up and down, nothing happens. It's like the transmitter is not connected. But I can tell from the status light on the receiver that it is connected. All of this makes me wonder if I should be using the wire from pin 3 or, pin 8, instead of pin 5 as it is now.

--------------------------------------- UPDATE 11:30 AM 2/11/17 Central Time --------------------------------------------------

I just switched pin 3 and 5 so, now here is my new configuration. My hardware setting for the CC3D Atom receiver port is set to PPM+NoOneShot, and I have pins 1, 2, and 3 connected to my RC receiver's PPM port.

When I re-tried the transmitter calibration wizard I have the same problem. the receiver activity status bar says "No Activity". That is the same as before. Now I will try changing the hardware setting to PWM+OneShot and then use pin 8 instead of pin 3 to connect to my receiver PPM port.

------------------------------------------------------- END UPDATE --------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------ UPDATE 12:00 Central Time 2/11/17 --------------------------------------------------

I changed the hardware configuration to PPM+OneShot, and switched to using pin 8 rather than pin 3.

Now everything works! YES!

Thank you f5soh for your help. I would not have started looking in the right place for a fix with out your hlep.
Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:57:53 pm by Willyd57 »