ESC burned out
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:23:01 pm »
Yesterday i mounted the ESCs Flycolor Fairy 12A flashed with BlHeli and the 1806 Motors on my 150-Project.

I have calibrated the ESCs - starting the motors with the CGS - and a Flame shot out of one of the ESC. After pull of the Lipo it stops to burn. The ESCs is totally damaged.

(I have ordered new motors und new ESCs)

I know - this is not a problem of Librepilot. If anyone knows how to avoid such an accident - please let me know.

Re: ESC burned out
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:43:52 pm »
First time after flashing, you just use a current limited power supply.  The easiest way to do that is with an automotive light bulb inserted in series with flight battery.  I use #1156 or #2056 which are about 2 amp = 25 watt.  I have successfully used 0.5 amp bulbs, and I imagine that even 10 amp = 120 watt bulbs would work.  It must be an automotive bulb.  The Lipo pack must be 3 cell or less.

Red flight battery wire goes to bulb and other bulb connection goes to ESC
Black flight battery wire goes straight to ESC
Try this with working ESCs to understand that it works.  When you give a little throttle, the bulb will light up a little.  Too much throttle and the ESC will reset (does not hurt it) as if the battery was unplugged.

This only give enough power to allow low power (low RPM) testing.

On low throttle, if you see that the light bulb is bright and that motor does not turn, then it is wrong firmware!  Do not test without the bulb in that case!  Simply flash correct firmware and test with bulb again.  When it works with bulb you can run it without bulb.

If bulb is ever bright and does not go dim when you move throttle to low, it is wrong firmware or could be something else wrong, but if you connect it without the bulb it will burn up.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 01:56:44 am »
thank you for your quick answer - i remember i have read this anywhere and dont believe that i have to use it :)

So i will biuld up a test environment - i have here a 12 Volt 20 Watt Halogen bulb - better to fix than an automotive bulb. After flashing BlHeli - enable PWM - than i can use my Motor Tester with PWM output.

Do you think its necessary to test the other "working" ESC's too ? Cause i read a thread written by Oskar Liang and he has this problem after a wile using the flashed ESCs.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:08:54 am »
If you test them and they pass, they are usually good "forever".  I only suggest you try some working ones to see how the current limiter bulb works.  Bulb does not glow when you plug it in, but it does when you run the motors very slowly.  Too fast and the bulb is too bright and the ESC resets as if the battery was unplugged and plugged back in.

I did have a brand that passed after flashing, but would "latch up" and burn out about 1 out of 20 times when you plugged it in.  I have not seen these for sale ever again.  I still have some of them.  :)