What are the sensors supported by CC3D Board?
« on: January 02, 2017, 11:41:57 am »
Hi,

I recently got a CC3D and  fly with Attitude Mode & Rate Mode. I want to add a barometer & a magnetometer to have altitude hold function & orientation lock.
Is it possible to add any external sensor through Flexi Port?
What are the sensors (Barometers/ Magnetometers) supported by CC3D?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Mateusz

Re: What are the sensors supported by CC3D Board?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:40:51 pm »
The CC3D has less RAM memory which is major obstacle why autonomous function are implemented only for Revolution. It has also lower CPU clock and different pinout(F1 not F4 MCU). So it's not so straightforward to port Revo to it. I think it's cheaper to order Revo instead. I fly mostly in Complementary with just accel, gyro and baro sensors. Works very well when baro is protected from light variation, air blows from props and vertical PIDs tunned.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 12:45:17 pm »
Thanks for the idea Mateusz

aa5gp

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 07:12:23 am »
I would think a GPS would have the functionality you are looking for...
.- .- ..... --. .--.

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 09:01:26 am »
I would think a GPS would have the functionality you are looking for...

No GPS does not have that functionality. He wasn't asking for autonomous flight (which I just mentioned).
GPS is just one of sensors, only used for autonomous flights in combination. All hardware I ever played with always combined GPS with other sensors, as GPS alone has accuracy within meters of error, so you need other well calibrated sensors to correct it.

It is true that mentioned Altitude Hold does not require INS13 (EKF) and autonomous flight capabilities, it can be set as Thrust mode even with Complementary. I often fly like that, but not with CC3D.
So far (16.09) this would work on all supported flight controllers (FC) with STM32-F4 chip, maybe F3 as well in future. However CC3D is based on F1 chip which due to limited RAM does not even use drivers for Mag and Baro.

Other firmware might have less features and be simpler written/designed (not event based) but loop based. So might have Mag+Baro functionality hacked in some way. Despite CC3D is great FC for racing, I wouldn't use it for anything else.

It is just cheaper to buy F4 based FC with all sensors then to hack around with CC3D that has less memory if you want more then just racing.