ESC Calibration Problem
« on: January 02, 2017, 12:45:48 am »
So this is my first drone build and I think I'm having problems calibrating the ESCs.

Basically, when I get to the ESC Calibration Procedure step in the vehicle configuration setup in LibrePilot, the ESCs start to beep, but they don't stop. I moved on from that step a couple times, pretending that they did stop and got some funny results. The first time, the motors all started at different times, and this time, two of the motors do not spin during the rest of the setup, but once I use the controller to make them spin, they spin as I throttle down, and the other two spin as I throttle up..but all at different times.

I don't know if maybe I fried my CC3D, because when I first got it I (stupidly) hooked a battery up to it and things sparked..But I think it goes wrong at the calibration step and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I've already got another CC3D on the way in case I did fry the first one.

Thanks!

Re: ESC Calibration Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 06:02:47 am »
Is your throttle backwards or did you manage to get through the transmitter wizard?
Try selecting PWMSync or PWM490 instead of something faster like OneShot.
Here is an article about calibrating ESCs and setting ESC neutrals manually after the wizard.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/ESC+Calibration

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 04:44:28 am »
No it's not my throttle being backwards. I am using PWM also. I followed that article exactly and am still getting the same problem. However I got them to all start very near each other if I set the minimum up to where two of the start, since they start at around 1480 and the other two start spinning around 1100 or something. I might just have to mess with it like that.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:03:04 am »
I'm having ESC issues too, except mine just do a three beep and stop. Whenever I hit stop I don't get beeps like I'm suppose to. I have one shot ESC but also PWM so I chose rapidesc. The Motors never spun up. I manually configured them and worked great, but whenever I plug them back to the cc3d they don't work anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 05:16:14 am »
No it's not my throttle being backwards. I am using PWM also. I followed that article exactly and am still getting the same problem. However I got them to all start very near each other if I set the minimum up to where two of the start, since they start at around 1480 and the other two start spinning around 1100 or something. I might just have to mess with it like that.

Starting at 1480 is a sign that your ESCs need to be calibrated.  All my SimonK's (several quads) start around 1064 after a successful calibration using min=1000 max=1900 and PWMSync

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 05:19:00 am »
I'm having ESC issues too, except mine just do a three beep and stop. Whenever I hit stop I don't get beeps like I'm suppose to. I have one shot ESC but also PWM so I chose rapidesc. The Motors never spun up. I manually configured them and worked great, but whenever I plug them back to the cc3d they don't work anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

Try PWMSync or PWM490 and recalibrate the ESCs according to wiki article.

You can test using Test Outputs on the output page (remove props!).  That will make sure it isn't an arming issue etc.

What ESC firmware is this?  We recommend BLHeli or SimonK.  Stock firmware can work too, but the beeps are different.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:28:37 am by TheOtherCliff »

Mateusz

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 07:48:49 am »
Which LP version is that ? Which ESC ? I use Afro ESC, KISS and LitteBee with recent 16.09 version and 14.8.x BLHeli, all works as expected. Did you flash your ESC ?