anthropo

Revolution goes crazy F450
« on: December 18, 2016, 07:05:15 pm »
Hello,

i have just finished to setup a F450 with a revolution board ans GPS with external mag (16.09)

BUT when i put throttle on then horizon goes crazy, upside down and of course the F450 too.

What am i missing ? is it the sign of a deffective card ? parasits ?

thank you

Re: Revolution goes crazy F450
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 07:49:18 pm »
Sounds like your wiring producing big magnet fields or you using internal mag too?..can you attach a photo where we can see where you put your gps and mag? And maybe attach your uav file too(file>export uav settings)...what gps/mag are u using? Have you read the wiki carefully: https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Aux+Mag+Setup+and+Calibration

Allready read this discussion?

https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=2589.0
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:57:57 pm by DocHardinger »
Hardware: F450 Frame--Revolution Board--EMax 2213-935kv--BullTec 30A Opto--5000mAh 3S 30C LiPo--NEO M8N GPS+MAG--Fr Sky Taranis Plus + OPLink Mini
Addon: sj5000x + two axis gimbal + minimosd + eachine VT + easycap
Software: Black Rhino, LP2GO

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 08:13:58 pm »
Horizon goes crazy only when you give throttle? Then it is high power wiring problem.  All high power wire sets must be twisted together.  Battery to connector.  Connector to PDB.  Good PDB.  PDB to ESC.  ESC to motor.

If Horizon is always crazy then you need to set your mag board rotation (Config -> Attitude -> Mag Settings -> Board Rotation (or something similar).  I2C aux mag needs 0,180,0 or 180,0,180 (they are the same rotation).

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 08:18:09 pm »
and GPS/mag should be mounted on a pole to get it away from the wires.  They have GPS mounts for about $4 on eBay.

anthropo

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:42:47 pm »
Thank you.

But if i set all inputs to 'stabilized', then attitude algorythm to 'basic + complementary', i don't use GPS neither mag, do i ?

It happens only with propeller.

My quad is a F450, i have a battery connected, and 4 esc connected directly to the pcb. No capacitors. could it be better with capacitors on each esc connection ?

anthropo

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 09:37:22 pm »
tried two turns twists on each esc. Same problem.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 03:59:58 am »
Always crazy or only with throttle?  Only with throttle (and props on) means you have bad mag fields when you use power.

Much less current with props off, that is why it only happens with props on.  You have a wiring problem that makes a mag problem.

Ah hah!  Set your mag type (mag setup page) to "aux only".  That is the one thing that makes sense now.

Have you done a mag calibration since you got aux mag working?  If not you need to do mag calibration again.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:04:01 am by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 07:55:11 am »
Thats exactly my thought  ;D , check if you use aux only and not both...thats why i find exporting the uav settings file(file>export uav settings) always helpful to find the issue...
Hardware: F450 Frame--Revolution Board--EMax 2213-935kv--BullTec 30A Opto--5000mAh 3S 30C LiPo--NEO M8N GPS+MAG--Fr Sky Taranis Plus + OPLink Mini

anthropo

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 01:13:22 pm »
Thank you.

Mag calibration is done. set to 'aux only'. Board rotation 180 pitch. all axis go the same as internal mag. mag is green

No one answered my question : does complementary use gps and mag ? because i have tried also with stabilized as input mode

esc twisted two turns.

.uav joined.

Thank you

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 01:18:01 pm »
Complementary does not use mag or gps...

anthropo

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 01:19:03 pm »
so my problem is not related to mag ?

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 01:45:49 pm »
No your config looks good...
I edit some settings:
  • I activated "Zero the Integral when throttle is low" under Stabilization tab (maybe that helps with takeoff, if not activated the integral value will rise over time. And this could lead to flips at takeoff. Especially if you take off slowly)
  • And I switched Output to "PWMSync" under Output (Its just for performance, has nothing to do with your issue
  • And I raise the deadband for control input to 5 (cause looks like your input channels are not really centered (calibrated))

So just save your settings (File > Export UAV settings) and then import the attached uav file and save all settings to the board. Or do the above changing manually. Cause i dont give guarantee that this works :-)

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 07:54:53 pm »
If you are using INS13 and (after GPS and mag go green) the FlightData artificial horizon display works correctly (it looks backwards, since it goes left when you tip right, but it is correct), but horizon goes crazy when you add power, then you either have a mag and wiring problem or you have bad vibrations.  Props MUST be balanced for this to work.

You can check for excess vibration by looking at Scopes (Accel) as you run motor up.  Gyros go crazy if they see too much vibration.  I'm going to make a guess that 1g of noise is OK, but 10g's causes crazy gyros.

There is a version of Complementary that does allow GPS and mag for navigation, but I'm fairly sure that no version of Complementary (Basic) uses GPS or mag for stabilization.

INS13 uses GPS and mag for both navigation and stabilization, so for INS13 GPS jumps or crazy mag will cause flight problems even in Attitude (non-GPS) mode.

When I help, I make some assumptions about the configuration.  I wouldn't have guessed that you disabled "Zero the integral when throttle is low".  Generally speaking, it is best to avoid changing things or at least set them back to default when you are done testing.  :)  Maybe you accidentally clicked this and didn't know it...  With that, if you still can't get it working, you might save (file -> export) this config in case you want to go back to it, and start over with an Erase Settings on the Firmware page.

Arm, start motor, take off (from level ground).  Do it fairly quickly (say 5 seconds) to avoid windup, but I don't think windup is your problem.

You could take off the landing gear and strap battery underneath so that the arms don't touch ground and it is sitting on center battery bulge.  That way when the motors start spinning, it can stabilize before it has enough power to lift off.  This will help the windup issue.

I will make a screen capture of my accel scope while flying to give you a reference.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:35:39 pm by TheOtherCliff »

anthropo

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 09:24:48 pm »
thank you all.

I tried your settings, no more luck. Of course I unchecked 'Zero the integral when throttle is low' by error !

I remember now once it happened the same to me with a revo mini, i changed the board for a revolution (not mini) and had no more problem. I've just ordered another board and will try later with it.

Thanks again