jtrout19

More Inputs on Revolution
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:58:16 am »
Hey guys, got a proposition for you. If someone wants to design a new revolution with more ports. Something like the Pixracer or pixhawk Upload the file to OSH park and give me a component list. I will build 5 of them and send them to the developers. Ive read quite a bit about people running out of ports. on the revolution. Would be nice to have more.

Re: More Inputs on Revolution
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:39:24 am »
Opinions follow ;)

There is already a lot of good boards out there...  Designing a new board is a commitment to a lot of work; hardware and software.  It's usually done with the idea of making more than a few, just to make it worth while.  Most people want to sell their boards and get others to use them.  If it flops, you loose time and money.  If it succeeds, the Chinese clone it (whether or not the license allows) and you have still lost money.

I would port PixHawk to run on LP and skip the hardware step.

jtrout19

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 05:01:56 am »
I understand that. How would you go about porting LP to run on a pixhawk or pixracer? I am starting to learn python. Is there anything I can do with the flight controller and gcs with python?

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 02:32:47 pm »
This past year there we added support for Sparky2 flight controller.  It was a significant team effort to add.  A dev is considering adding PixHawk, but that may not happen for a long time...

The code is written in C (flight side) and C++ (GCS), so you should focus on that instead of Python.  :(

jtrout19

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 03:41:34 pm »
c huh...well my old nemesis....lol....well I will finish my course in python and then start on c again. I would love to be able to help you guys. I realize it may take a while till im ready but im trying to get there. What is involved in getting it to work?

hwh

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 04:34:29 pm »
Mostly a lot of time and work.  And someone who really wants it done working on it.  :)   The Sparky2 Cliff mentioned is relatively similar to the revo and it still took several of the experienced devs around six months to get it working well.  The PixHawk is way more complicated and would probably take longer.

The developer manual https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Developer+Manual talks about setting up to compile the source and work on it.   There are also some tips on setting up and using your own copy of the source at https://github.com/librepilot/LibrePilot/wiki/Git-Workflow

jtrout19

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 05:38:11 pm »
thank you I will take a look. Prolly will have a but load of questions too.....