Re: GPS and AuxMag Issues when doing everything right!
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2016, 07:05:57 am »
Heading to bed.  Didn't watch video.  :(  Climbing too much in GPS mode is usually a sign of either a baro that is getting prop blast on it or invisible oscillations caused by PIDs too high.  Edit: could also be ESC calibration.

The only change in the firmware I posted is a fix for the east - west oscillation in GPS mode.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:36:04 pm by TheOtherCliff »

jtrout19

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2016, 07:23:33 am »
Thats fine I still have to tune it. I am going to do that tomorrow. Then I will take another video. I am going to do an fpv flight tomorrow as well. Finally got my new VTX in. My Baro is totally hidden no prop blast or light can get to it.

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2016, 10:33:44 am »
Maybe its to much hidden ;-) i needed to remove some foam...otherwise pressure needs to long to get into the baro...nd that for me causes same issues...quad is going up because it was too low but baro didnt relize the pressure change that fast...so it was always behind the real height...hope you get what i mean
Hardware: F450 Frame--Revolution Board--EMax 2213-935kv--BullTec 30A Opto--5000mAh 3S 30C LiPo--NEO M8N GPS+MAG--Fr Sky Taranis Plus + OPLink Mini
Addon: sj5000x + two axis gimbal + minimosd + eachine VT + easycap
Software: Black Rhino, LP2GO

jtrout19

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2016, 04:05:00 pm »
Yeah I was wondering about that so last night I removed the balsa box I made for it. Reused the case the revo came in added some memory foam to it. Now pressure changes in scopes immediately and I can take my surefire flashlight and shine on the case and no change. I can also take a can of compressed air and blow on it and no change. The scope picture i posted last night was after all that. I also black electrical taped the casing as well.

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2016, 05:57:48 pm »
Can confirm . Librepilot GPS setup is quite bad.
Spend 2 days trying get magnetometers right (DJI pug) with RC2 ,No luck.
There must be something fundamentally wrong with the software. Same time same parts with Pixhawk and position hold is rock solid.

Any way .. .RC2 with standard PID flies great.

jtrout19

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2016, 06:25:35 pm »
Can confirm . Librepilot GPS setup is quite bad.
Spend 2 days trying get magnetometers right (DJI pug) with RC2 ,No luck.
There must be something fundamentally wrong with the software. Same time same parts with Pixhawk and position hold is rock solid.

I do not think something is "fundamentally wrong" with the software. I personally think the reason people have such a hard time with getting it right is because of the 3d mag. From what I understand a 3d mag is much more sensitive than a 2d mag. I also believe the pixhawk uses a 2d mag. There are plenty of people who have got gps to work with this flight controller. I will be honest I have been tossing around the idea of getting a pixhawk. Just to see how something else works. And to be honest I will prolly get one but I am not giving up on the revolution or librepilot.

I am getting ready to build the flightcontroller from scratch the reason for this is because I know chinese clones can be bad products. They use cheaper components to save on costs. The end result ends up being something that isnt quite right but will work. So I am going to build one the way it was meant to be built using the parts that were meant to be used. My conclusion is that I will have something that will work better than my chinese made ones that I have.

jtrout19

« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2016, 12:10:56 am »
Alrighty Cliff and anyone else who is following this. I dont have a video cause it is already dark where I am at. I will take a video tomorrow before I change anything to let you see what is going on. Position hold is literally almost there. I was very impressed by it. Velocity roam is a whole other story. The quad oscillates a fast oscillation.

I didnt have time to do the txpid tonight so I did a quick autotune. Here is what it got. Do the PIDs seem a bit high. I mean the quad flies good in my opinion. But they are the highest values I have seen in my short time of doing this.

Roll         pitch         yaw
.00526    .00596     .01490
00951     .001078   .02156
.000077   .000087   .000174

outer loop

Roll          pitch
3.309      3.309
1.271      1.271

« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2016, 05:38:54 pm »
FYI: the oscillation that I saw was in a line, not the circular toilet bowl.  For me, sometimes the oscillation did not start if I switch to VR when stationary and don't move the sticks.

With the sticks in the center, VR is supposed to run the same code as PH.

A fast oscillation (much faster than a 4 second period) has been seen by some people for a long time (even 15.09).
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=382.0

In VtolPathFollowerSettings there is a separate (higher) PID for VR.  You might try setting the horizontal VR PID to the same as the horizontal generic PID.

Did the new firmware help the east west oscillation for you?  FYI, it uses the same settings as RC2, so you can just flash one then the other to test for a difference.

jtrout19

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2016, 07:20:29 pm »
Two new videos of VR and PH. Problem still not solved. The wind is weird today. It will be really still and then all the sudden a quick gust. Same behavior on both regular 16.09rc2 and 16.09rc2_dirty.

Flies great without gps. I couldnt ask for better flight without gps. Ive switched into VR both at a hover with no stick input and with stick input. Changing the pid did not work either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fod41zho33yewrz/20161127_130011%5B1%5D.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/otrliz5ktj394xy/20161127_125840%5B1%5D.mp4?dl=0

« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2016, 07:39:27 pm »
That is exactly what my 500 looks like with stock firmware.  The two test flights I made with the dirty firmware, I had zero issues.

It sometimes takes 10 - 15 seconds to get started, and initial motion seems to help it get started.

jtrout19

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2016, 07:51:32 pm »
I wonder why I am still having same issues with dirty firmware. Those videos are with the dirty firmware.

jtrout19

« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2016, 09:36:48 pm »
Hey guys first i want to start off by saying thank you for all the assistance you have given me over the past few months.

I have decided to put the revo on hold. I purchased a pixhawk for my large drone. I have been trying to get gps to work for long on this quad i missed out on the summer and fall season of flying. I just cant do it anymore i dont have the drive to do it anymore.

That being said i have three revos as well as blank boards on the way thatbi am going to put together. I will continue using the revo on my smaller quads and any build i dont want gps modes on. It is an excellent flight controller.

So again thank you for your help i will continue to follow these forums for updates and chnages and anything else..

« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2016, 10:03:47 pm »
Oh thats really sad...for me pos and altitude hold works really good...after tuning its like nailed in the air...
But a pixhawk is a really good choice i think
Hardware: F450 Frame--Revolution Board--EMax 2213-935kv--BullTec 30A Opto--5000mAh 3S 30C LiPo--NEO M8N GPS+MAG--Fr Sky Taranis Plus + OPLink Mini

jtrout19

« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2016, 10:22:35 pm »
I know it sucks I really wanted to get it working, I hate being beat by something. My wife even started telling me to go different. She saw how frustrated it was making me and started to get upset that I was frustrated every night after I got home from work....lol

Anyway I will still try things when new releases come out and such. I will hook it back up and re-try it. I just want to get my quad in the air and do some photos and video and such. I am not blaming the flight controller either or the firmware or the developers. I am not blaming myself either. Hell I can't blame anything because I just dont know why I couldn't get it working.

Maybe I will have the same problems with the pixhawk maybe I won't. I just dont want to spend hours in the cornfield anymore calibrating my mag. The final thing that made me jump was on saturday, I went over to my brother in laws house for dinner took my large quad, was gonna fly it around the city. He lives on the east side of indianapolis. So there are really nice views from the air. So I got my quad out and tried to go flying. Could not get it to arm. No matter what I did. I didnt have my laptop so I couldnt see what was keeping if from arming but it always armed itself at my house. I never had issue with it arming at my place. I even left the thing sitting for 20 minutes. No go so I ended up flying my little 250.

Anyway no hard feelings guys I still enjoy the product just not the issue that are unsolvable for me.

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2016, 08:28:35 pm »

Here you see how good external MAg with Velocity Roam could work if it works ;-)
And of course some free riding...

Filmed over wifi with Rasperry Pi 3 and PiCamera v2.1...not the best quality but hey its a stream