Quad rotates in position hold
« on: November 06, 2016, 06:59:46 pm »
Hi

I have been having a problem for quite a while where the quad will rotate Counter Clockwise when in normal and position hold mode. I have calibrated both gyros and magnetometer (using OPLink). It starts by rotating slowly then speeds up a bit. When I yaw it back manually it tends to rise a bit in altitude as well. Any thoughts? Using Revolution, 30A Afro ESC and 980kv Sunnysky Motors on custom 3d printed frame with carbon fiber tubes. I know it is not the transmitter as I have calibrated it many times.

Tim

jtrout19

Re: Quad rotates in position hold
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:51:39 pm »
Ok last post for the days guys, I spent some time searching through the forums just now trying to find a post about this I found similar but none of the solutions has solved my issue.

I decided to take a break and work on my 250 and leave my 550 on the bench. So I got this little guy all set up running 1806 2300kv motor with 20a afro mini race spec esc blheli oneshot125, Revolution FC, and Gemfan 5045 props. The quad drifts fairly bad along the yaw axis. I had to virtual rotate my FC 180 degrees because I have it installed backwards, something that was neccessary to get everything plugged in right. Props are all balanced. Tried turning up filter on Gyro that didnt work.

Any Ideas?

Post moved, same issue
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:30:09 am by f5soh »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 10:37:01 am »
About the Yaw drift be sure the transmitter do not have jitter/ thermal drift, keep running for some time.
go to UAVOBrowser > ManualControlCommand > Yaw (should be 0% without moving stick)

A bad thermal calibration can give gyro drift, try removing the thermal calibration data in AccelGyroSettings.
Revert temperature calibration values:

Be sure the AttitudeSettings > ZeroDuringArming is set to true.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 09:15:29 pm »
Position Hold is a GPS mode.  GPS modes require the mags to be working well.

If you are using the on board mag, you will get yaw rotation if your high current wiring is not properly twisted or you have a bad style of PDB.  Small quads have a bad problem with this because wires are so close to FC.  Twist all high current wire pairs/triplets (battery to connector, connector to PDB, PDB to ESC, ESC to motor) and if that doesn't fix it, consider getting a supported (OPv9, DJI, ... PixHawk but it needs two data ports) GPS that has a mag built in.  DJI/Naza GPS is supported in 16.09.

I have a 500 quad that works with onboard mag, but it isn't as good as my 330 with external mag/GPS "up on a post".