jtrout19

Using S.bus, AUX Mag, And gps together.
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:39:31 pm »
SO in lew of my new Revolution arriving in the mail I am trying to read up on getting gps and Aux mag to work correctly. I noticed that AUX Mag uses I2C. That being said hwo do I still use S.bus is Aux Mag has to use flexiport as well?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Using S.bus, AUX Mag, And gps together.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 11:09:44 pm »
Using rel-16.09:
- Sbus to MainPort
- FlexiPort as I2C (AuxMag)
- GPS to FlexiIO

jtrout19

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 11:12:58 pm »
OK that work minus OSD. I forgot about OSD. I was going to have OSD in the Reciever port. I see that the USB port can be used for telemetry Would I be able to run OSD through the USB port? MinimOSD is what im using

chromvis

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:20:33 pm »
Actually, OSD need only Tx signal from FC and GPS need only Rx signal, so, in principal, OSD and GPS could share the same port. But is it possible or not is the question to the developers.

jtrout19

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 11:24:29 pm »
I dont think that would be possible currently. You have to select either GPS or Telemetry. Interesting thought though.

jtrout19

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 02:33:10 am »
From the looking ive been doing I dont think it is possible to use sbus unless I purchase an Sbus to Cppm converter and switch receiver port to PPM+Telemetry.....am I correct in this thinking?

chromvis

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 03:00:52 am »
I have done that, it works fine.
Actually, in principle, S.Bus socket also could be used for telemetry (Tx pin is not in use). I do not think that either one of these variants is hard to implement (GPS - telemetry, or S.Bus - telemetry). Question for developers?
BTW. Sparky.2 does not have these limitations, it has separate I2C port.
P.S. What kind of video system are you using for over 2 miles flight distance? 

hwh

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 03:11:30 am »
The easiest thing is to not use an i2c external mag.  The DJI Naza GPS and it's clones combine the GPS and mag into one cable.  It's also easier to get working, the i2c stuff is sometimes hard to get working right. 

There is a developer working on serial that might eventually allow transmit and receive on a port to be used for different things but even if he gets it working it probably won't be available till one of the  17.xx releases.

jtrout19

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 04:28:06 am »
I am using a 500mw 5.8ghz video system with a cloverleaf on tx and a patch on the reciever. I am also partial to the revolution dont really know why i just like em.

And as far as using a different gps/mag i just purchased the m6n so unless i can hack the module and put mag and gps in one cable then im stuck hsing i2c. If there is a way to run mag and gps in one cable please let me know im willing to do whatever i need.

On another not i am waiting on a developer to chime in on this ;)

hwh

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 04:22:42 pm »
...And as far as using a different gps/mag i just purchased the m6n so unless i can hack the module and put mag and gps in one cable then im stuck hsing i2c. If there is a way to run mag and gps in one cable please let me know im willing to do whatever i need. ...
That requires an atmel chip like an Arduino mini pro and pawelsky's firmware from rcgroups.  The thread is https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2290346  His design and firmware are what the Chinese are using in their clones of the DJI Naza GPS.

... On another not i am waiting on a developer to chime in on this ;)
There's no way to identify developers. Two of us have already posted in this thread.

jtrout19

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 06:34:06 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate what you do to provide all of us with a fantastic product! For now I am going to purchase a sbus to CPPM converter and use PPM+telemetry on the FC. That being said I am going to do what you linked to looks really interesting and fun, but the converter allows me to get up and running while I am working on the other. Thank you for answering my questions I appreciate it!

Or I could just do a PWM to PPM and use one of my arduino minis?

Which would you guys do?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:44:06 pm by jtrout19 »