robertr

Is my CC3D controller dead?
« on: September 17, 2018, 11:56:17 pm »
 I am having a problem connecting to my controller, when I connect either the usb to the controller to connect to Libre Pilot or the battery to the quad I only get a blue light no yellow. Also when I connect a battery I only get the first three beeps from the motors, missing he last two.
 I have been having a good time with my 5 inch quad, maybe the crashes have taken their toll and I need a new flight controller.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:18:04 am by robertr »

Re: Is my CC3D controller dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 12:28:47 am »
That doesn't sound good.  Did the GCS ever connect correctly, or were you just flying with quad default settings?

Did you do something that might have caused this (install Cleanflight, upgrade from OP to LP, etc.)?  Many quads come with an old version of OpenPilot and that is not compatible with the current version of LibrePilot.

You could take the CC3D out of the quad and look at it with a magnifying glass; looking for cracks in the board or damaged traces or missing components.

You could try reflashing, starting with the SBL bootloader flashing procedure, then firmware flashing using GCS and manual method.

If it were me, and I didn't mind wasting $10 - $20 to get flying sooner, I would order a replacement CC3D, and get it coming in the mail while I tried other things.

robertr

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 02:15:39 am »
 Cliff I have been using only LibrePilot for a few months with no problems. Just lately after a crash the problem started.
 I can sometimes get it to work after plugging and unplugging several times in a row.
 I think the board might have been damaged in that last crash.
 Cliff where can I find the "SBL bootloader flashing procedure".
Thanks, Robert.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:45:47 am »
If it works sometimes, then don't bother with the SBL procedure.

If your flying time is worth more than $10, then get a replacement ordered ASAP so you can receive it ASAP.

It sounds like a cracked trace / connection / component or cold solder joint.  Take the CC3D out and look at it with a magnifying glass and if you are really good at soldering tiny tiny tiny connections, you can reflow everything on the CC3D that might have a bad connection.

robertr

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 05:20:43 am »
 It seems to be working again. After removing it from the quad and disconnecting everything it still would not connect so I took a toothbrush soaked in alcohol and gave it a good cleaning, let it dry and it connected.
 Put it all back together and it still works. I will test it out tomorrow and see if it acts up again.
 Thanks again for your help Cliff.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:20:47 am »
What has probably happened is that you have flexed the board and now it is working again.  It could stop working after the vibration of a few more flights.  I would resolder everything, and then if it ever has a problem again, I would mark it as bad and save it for parts.

Save your settings file (File->ExportUAV...) in case you need them later.

robertr

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 04:43:03 pm »
Cliff I bet that is what happened but I will wait till it acts up again before I attempt the procedure you described. I can solder pretty well but I wouldn't know where to start on those tiny  solder joints.