Mediatek GPS support on Revo firmware?
« on: September 08, 2016, 04:37:22 pm »
Greetings!
I'm preparing to set up a Revo for use with LibrePilot, and I'm trying to find out whether the firmware will work with the 3DR MTK V2.0 GPS unit (Mediatek chip, no magnetometer), as I happen to have one on hand.

From my reading, I'm not clear whether the latest firmware supports the default NMEA format (I understand that the original CC3D didn't support NMEA because of memory efficiency issues), or whether there are other reasons to avoid using NMEA.

The source repository contains modules for NMEA, uBlox and DJI formats, so I rather doubt that Mediatek binary formats will work., but NMEA format may work for me. Does anyone have experience with the Mediatek GPS and LibrePilot?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Mediatek GPS support on Revo firmware?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 10:41:23 pm »
Old thread, but this may help ...

A couple years ago (OP days) I had a working uBlox GPS quad and I tried to get the NMEA protocol working with it.  I was not successful.  I was told that it was probably that uBlox protocol supplies good velocity data and NMEA does not.  I never tried after that.

Since then I researched which NMEA sentences are used.  If you want to try NMEA, you should at least make it output these sentences.

NMEA strings that we parse
Skip first two character, allow GL, GN, GP...
THEN
        .prefix  = "GGA",
        .prefix  = "VTG",
        .prefix  = "GSA",
        .prefix  = "RMC",
#if !defined(PIOS_GPS_MINIMAL)
        .prefix  = "ZDA",
        .prefix  = "GSV",
#endif // PIOS_GPS_MINIMAL