Pros and Cons between OPLink and a receiver to control a quad
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:48:46 pm »
Hi all,
I'm a newbie in multi rotors (not in RC as I'm used to run onroad car models). I'm building a quad based on the Revo flight controller and I was fascinated with the possibility to use the OP Link mini connected to a transmitter to control de quad.
But before I take that road, does anyone tell me if using the OP Link is better, equal or worst than using a PPM receiver connected to the flight controller? Basically, I want to know if I'm not making a mistake once that I have a reasonable receiver that I can use but, on other hand, I love the idea of integration and controlling it with the integrated OP Link of the controller seems more wise.
Any good comments?  :)
Regards,

mookie

Re: Pros and Cons between OPLink and a receiver to control a quad
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:54:32 pm »
Hi there i'm using oplink for control and also telemetry, I use a repeater box i made, which has a 2.4ghz Faast Receiver with PPM out to the Oplink, which then sends uhf to the quad, i suppose the real benefit is range as UHF has far better penetration than 2.4ghz.
I'm using Sparky 2 Flight controller.

malc

chromvis

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:01:46 am »
I have mixed experience.
I set Revo control & telemetry first, and use Bluetooth module to transmit telemetry to my laptop. Luckily I did not fly too far. There were  connection loss in roughly 10 m distance. I was not a radio problem, but rather Bluetooth sort of interference or data jam. Radio signal was perfect (50 db), it was abrupt loss with no subsequent recovery.
When I tested without Bluetooth, with USB connection to computer, I got over 500 m at 25 mW power with no direct sight (walking test, through trees).
I also got very good connection and non-delayed telemetry update (test on calibration bar dynamic) when I start using RMILEC 433MHz SRC771 1/2 Wave Length UHF Antenna on TX side.

Hi mookie, are you using stock Sparky 2 helical wire antenna?

mookie

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 11:26:56 am »
Hi chromvis.

No the stock antenna is useless. I'm using one from immersion ezuhf on sparky and a diamond on my repeater box.
I have flown it without an issue, i'm going to do a bit more testing today and i'll let you know how it goes. I will say that UHF is more susceptible to interference.

I checked my build on a scope after installing a 1000uf cap on the main power lines and 330uf cap on the pololu regulator and i'm seeing around 20mv noise. But i have no way of checking if any RF noise is coming from esc's or motors etc. I was getting 10volt noise before and the video had lines on it.