ESC's not calibraiting/beeping when connected to CC3D
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:58:46 pm »
Hello out there,

i am new to this hobby i tinker on my multi copter now since four days but i don't get it working. The problem is when i do the vehicle wizard i cant calibrate the escs. When i start the ESC calibration i don't hear any beep sounds nor when i plug the battery in. I run all kind of tests and searched several forums for a solution but now i am done.  ;D

Tests:

Re: ESC's not calibraiting/beeping when connected to CC3D
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 10:22:32 pm »
Hello out there, first build first problems =D

i am new to this hobby i tinker on my multi copter now since four days but i don't get it working. The problem is when i do the vehicle wizard i cant calibrate the ESC's. When i start the ESC calibration i don't hear any beep sounds nor when i plug the battery in. I run all kind of tests and searched several forums for a solution but now i am done.  ;D

Tests i have done:
=> I added some led to the power distribution board to verify the connection to the battery is ok.
=> I confirmed that all ESC have power and power is distributed to the CC3D, I used a multimeter to check all contentions from the ESC (small plug to the CC3D, signal, ground and positive are ok)
=> I tested all ESC by direct connecting them to the channel 4 on my Turnigy reviver, the  motor and the battery. (they beep as they should and wait for calibration.)
=> Tried calibration manually on the output tab in LibrePilot same result as in the wizard.

So as far as i can see i have a problem with my CC3D. I think it is not sending any orders to the ESC's How can i fix this? Do i have to replace my CC3D? Anything else i can test?

Hope someone can help me =D

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:49:24 am »
Well, for starters I would recommend that you never use the ESC calibration that pops up in the wizard. It usually just causes more problems than it helps.
Just skip it and later fiddle with output values to the motors in configuration menu later when you are done setting up.

These days most people set ESC calibration manually while configuring the ESCs in blheli suit. Like for example just set min and max throttle on all ESCs to 1000-2000 then in GCS output config till the board to start at 1050.

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:50:25 am »
I have no problem with wizard, it always works for me, and I get perfect values. If it's causing problems for you, then you must be doing something different.
What type of output is your ESC accepting ? What protocol and what have you selected ? What type of ECSs are those ? Have you flashed them or they are with stock firmware ?

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 01:09:30 pm »
Thanks for your response.

@Mateusz I use Emax Simonk Series 12A i havent changed anything on them. I read about flashing firmware but i did nothing i use them "out of the box".  I did not change anything in the output panel except the test mode or linked all four outputs together to see if something happens  when i pull the slider to the right. So i would say everything is in default. I read some starter guids and watched some vids.. howToDrone... all of them just started the LibrePilot and did the wizard.. but i don't get any response from my ESC's...
Do i have to set the output something special? Do i have to change any receiver options?

@Zallestial
I think it is not the calibration itself.. consider when i plug in my battery the ESC's should respond with there startup beep, but the motor are silent. Only when i plug them direct to the Reciever and power them on i get the startup beep... so there has to be some issue between the esc and the CC3D... Thats why i am in the LibrePilot forum i still think its an configuration Isse.

Mateusz

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 03:02:02 pm »
You could try rule out FC configuration problem, by trying to do calibration manually.

1. Remove all props
2. Disconnect power from ESC.
3. Connect PWM signal either servo tester (or throttle from your radio receiver)
4. Set servo tester (or throttle..) to maximum
5. Connect battery
6. You should hear initialization beeps followed by another beeps indicating high end has been calibrated.
7. Move servo tester knob (or throttle stick..) all the way down to zero
8. You should hear two beeps indicating that low end has been calibrated.

Now ESC will have this settings stored, and you can disconnect battery.

If this works, it would indicate that ESCs can be calibrated and there is something wired or configuration issue with FC. In that case I suggest you post your Configuration->Output screenshot to the forum. You can also post screen simultaneously before checking manual calibration.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 07:10:52 pm »
Hey thanks for your reply,

okey... it seems i am the most unlucky guy in the universe. I finally got some batteries for my Turnigy TGY9x transmitter and wanted to use it to directly calibrate the ESC using the throttle. When i turn on my transmitter all i get is this:

Now i can fix that first before i can continue the ESC-CC3D issue.

When i do these steps with the LibrePilot no beeps. I added a screen shot of my output tab.
Ill try to track down both issues at once.. xD

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 11:32:35 pm »
You can calibrate ESC's without the transmitter.  Search the wiki for esc calibration.

Also: try to use PwmSync for ESC protocol in the wizard.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »
Hey there, thanks for the tips.

@TheOtherCliff thx for the hint..i fixed my transmitter (firmware update really helped).

Sooo.. now after some tinkering i was able to calibrate my ESC and i now each of them work.. at least for there own when connected to channel 3 (throttle). As long as they are plugged to channel 3 (throttle) of my receiver they play there initialization sounds and after that i can use them.. push throttle up the motor spins faster.. and so on.. like they should. But as soon as i plug them into my CC3D and power it on .. nothing .. no sounds no reaction.. just silence. :'(

Is my CC3D broken?? Should i get a new one? Anything else i can try?

From http://uavspeak.com/how-to/lumenier-qav250-build-part-2/ i saw there where several methods how to connect your ESC to the CC3D. I already read about removing the middle wire in the open pilot wiki. But that was only in combination with other additional components like GPS. I am pretty sure that only one ESC is supplying my CC3D with power. (only one is getting warm when all are connected to the CC3D sooo.. )

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 11:09:39 pm »
Don't remove the middle wire from the ESC connector.  Only possibly useful if you have switching BECs.

You must arm before the throttle is connected to the motors.  You are probably set to "always disarmed".

If not, then there is probably something wrong that shows on the system health gadget (Flight Data tab).

You can take props off and use "test outputs" on the output tab to make sure motors spin (and so it is probably just an arming issue).

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 01:55:03 pm »
Hey there,

thanks for your reply. I already checked the arm state.. its on yaw left as intended but that was not the problem. If armed or not the ESC's should do there initial beep (with the motors) when you connect the battery, as they did when directly connected to the receiver. But no beep in combination with the CC3D. So i also got no response in the output tab when manually doing the test output.

But! I solved the problem. No it wasn't the "always disarmed" nor the middle wire.
It was the CC3D.. bought a new one .. everything works.. cant say whats wrong with the other i will dig into that as soon i have time.. at the moment i practice flying =D. I run the same settings, run through the same steps.. but this time everything worked on first try. And now armed or not the ESC's initialize when connected to the battery and the CC3D.

In my current setting i removed all except one middle wire and it works quite well (after 4hours flying). I noticed that only the one ESC with the middle wire connected to the CC3D is getting really hot .. but i think that has to do with the voltage transformation...

Still thanks to all for your help! ;D

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 05:12:44 am »
It will work if you remove all but one middle wire, but I don't like it much.  If you leave all the wires intact, the heat will somewhat spread around to more than just the one ESC that has the middle wire.

Many ESC's actually have two BEC chips inside.  That is basically equivalent to two ESC's with one BEC chip each, with the middle wires intact.  :)

Dody63

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 09:31:42 am »
I have the same problem. I will try to change the CC3D controller