weijay

Side way drift
« on: May 19, 2016, 06:34:44 pm »
Hi Guys,
Finally I have got my CC3D heli up in the air, after extensive help from the forum. But I have now encountered a new problem.
My helicopter drifts. I understand that this is a normal thing for flybar helicopters without electronic stabilization. However, with CC3D gyros, shouldn't this be automatically corrected? particularly in stabilization mode?

I have tried mode rate and stabilization mode. In both modes, the helicopter still drifts to the left.
I tried to set the accelerometer value to 0.20 (Max value). But did not see any improvement in drift.

I have checked the accelerometer values in the "Scope", all accelerameters behave correctly. But I don't see any gyro related correction, as I test the helicopter by moving it side ways. Thank you very much for every bodies help .

daveapplemotors

• Helis rule
Re: Side way drift
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:09:36 pm »
You can adjust the swash neutral to get a good hover. Raise one side and lower the other side and the pitch won't change. I adjust maximum and minimum values accordingly.  I adjust with this method until I get a no-brainer take-off with no pitch or roll corrections needed and a hands-off hover.

And / Or some people add between 8 and 25 degree board (negative?) X-axis tilt in Configuration / Attitude  to make up for the fact that mainshaft won't be vertical when you get a stable hover because the tail rotor always tries to push to the left. .

hope it helps,
Happy Landings!

weijay

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:21:01 pm »
Thank you much for the suggestion, Dave.
I thought the CC3D controller can make automated corrections base on accelerometer values.
I thought people only do swash plate compensation for flybar helicopters only.
Thanks you for your help again, much appreciated. Cheers

Regard
Wei

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 04:53:28 pm »
The CC3D does automatically selflevel based on the accelerometers, but it has a builtin zero which has to be perfectly oriented with the main rotor. This often isn't that easy to do, and if it was the case the tail rotor would still make the heli drift on the left (if it pushes right) with a perfectly leveled heli. That's why I added a few degrees to both axis for self leveling, so the heli learns which position to hold to have a still hover. Once you do this, the heli should stay still in the air, unless wind occours :).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:00:55 pm by Filippo94 »

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:26:19 am »
Rate mode does not automatically stabilize, so "drift left" should never be an issue unless you have excessive vibration.

Set accel and swash plate back.  :) and then:
Go to GCS -> Attitude -> Settings and adjust Roll in "Rotate Virtual" section.
if it is drifting forward you subtract from pitch
if it is drifting left you subtract from roll
etc.

I suggest subtracting 3 to start with, and see if you need more or less.
That can make the number (default is zero) negative.
If you can see that the angle is much steeper, then make the subtraction an estimate of the angle.