hwh

Re: GPS mode stabilization problems
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:43 pm »
Playing with a compass as a child gives us the wrong impression of the Earth's magnetic field.  We think of it as running North - South parallel to the ground.   Most places on the planet it doesn't, it points up (or down) at an angle.  GCS has the tables to calculate what that angle should be at any point on the Earth.  The gyro/accelerometers tell what angle the FC is at and the mag should match that adjusted for the mag angle calculated.  The display is how far off it is.

Once it's calibrated the FC uses the angle the mag reads (adjusted for your location) as another input to the calcs to get a better idea of the orientation of the quad in the air.

The green/orange/red colors are based on the percentage.

There's a post somewhere that explains this in more detail but I can't find it right now.

Roypw

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 09:43:59 pm »
Thanks, hwh . Got it now on the %. I will check again but I recall red with 10% or less and green at high numbers.  Watching then seemed to indicate they were 2 different things.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 11:02:21 am »
Warning / error levels are defined here :

This means 5% and 15% error.

Bill

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 12:31:36 am »
I wasn't in this thread at the beginning so I just skimmed over all the posts in this thread and I don't see anywhere what version of GCS you're running.  External mag requires compiling and running the next branch of the software.  If you are then the configuration -> attitude tab has a sub-tab that shows both the internal and external mags compared.

The external mags in gps get their power from the gps cable.

There's a lot of info on aux mag setup in the wiki at https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Aux+Mag+Setup+and+Calibration  probably a little too much info actually.  There are also a fair number of threads in the forum on both the aux mag and compiling next.

And if you're not running next the instructions for compiling and running it are in the developer manual at https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Developer+Manual
okay so I've done all of this and now have the "next" version running.  the first thing that I see is update available to 15.09.  the version that compiled was a71fb623.  do I want to upgrade to 15.09? 
Also, do I need to start over and run the vehicle setup wizard with this updated version?

thanks!

hwh

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 01:02:31 am »
okay so I've done all of this and now have the "next" version running.  the first thing that I see is update available to 15.09.  the version that compiled was a71fb623.  do I want to upgrade to 15.09?
No, the check is wrong.  It checks for exactly 15.09 instead of less than 15.09.  You're actually running 15.09 plus the changes since then.   Just ignore that message.

Also, do I need to start over and run the vehicle setup wizard with this updated version?
That's a less clear cut question.  Because some upgrades have problems if you don't "upgrade and erase" and then redo the wizard I do it every time.  It may or may not be necessary but it never hurts unless you don't like going through the wizard.  Also I think the wizard in next has the aux mag setup in it.

Bill

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 02:31:27 am »
okay thanks.  I'll run the wizard.

the other thing is, when I click on the flight data tab it only shows the OPMap and the system health.  I don't have the option to show the model and even though the upper left screen shows PFD as being selected it is blank.

wondering if it didn't compile correctly (didn't see any errors though...) or if those options aren't available in this version???  the screen shot is without the quad connected but it looks the same either way...

attached a screen shot.

hwh

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 03:00:38 am »
When you switch gcs versions it tries to use the preferences from the previous version and they're incorrect.

If you're starting it from the command line with a command like librepilot-gcs   then start it one time as librepilot-gcs -reset

Or you can do file -> GCS settings import/export and choose reset config and then quit the program.  When you start up again all the GCS settings will go to defaults and the displays should be back.

Bill

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 03:19:39 am »
awesome!  it worked.

now I just have to connect the quad and get it all setup. 

I'll let you know how it progresses.

thank you for all of your help.

milogi

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 11:15:47 am »
Hello
I have been following this thread and I have a m8n GPS with mag chip. I have added the two wires and plugged it to the flexi port of my revo. I have compiled the next branch of gcs and upgraded and ereased my board. After going through the setup wizard I was expecting to see both mags in the settings tab but I only see the on-board mag. I believe all my connections are good and I have power to the gps so it should find the aux mag, right ?
What could be my problem ?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 11:18:12 am »
You need to power the board with +5V first and next connect the USB.

This allow powering the external Mag chip and I2C initialization.

milogi

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 12:42:38 pm »
Thx
I will try that later totay :)

Bill

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 12:33:36 am »
hello hwh,

so, I was in the process of going through the Aux mag orientation, comparing the onboard to the aux.  I watched the video that was posted on what to do.  I decided to setup the gcs in the same way as shown on the video, I split the screen, clicked on the window>edit gadget mode and selected the view I wanted.
the software crashed.  okay.  I waited, disconnected the quad and battery.  restarted gcs, connected the battery then the usb and it no longer can see the aux mag.  I tried multiple times.  let it set for a few days.  Just retried with the same effect.  no aux mag.  I can see both the green light and the flashing blue light on the gps.  I have 10 satellites at the moment, make that 14.  everything is green. 

can you help?

Bill

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 05:34:22 pm »
You need to power the board with +5V first and next connect the USB.

This allow powering the external Mag chip and I2C initialization.

Hi f5soh,

I have this same issue.  see my previous post.  everything was going along fine, got to the point of having to adjust the aux. mag settings and the gcs crashed.  since then It doesn't see the aux mag no matter what I do.

I am going to reinstall the software to see if that will fix it.

any suggestions?

thanks.

Bill

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 05:49:03 pm »
okay I fixed it.

I reinstalled the software and it now "see's" the aux. mag.

milogi

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 08:51:44 pm »
I have been trying to get this setup working as well. In my case I have to go into the firmware tab and press "Halt" and then "Boot" to get the GCS to see the AuxMag. This seems to work every time, so I don't worry about that. My concern is that after calibrating the mags the aux mag is giving me higher % than the onboard mag, but it is more stable and doesn't go into the red with the motors spinning. I have all the wiring twisted and the ublox-neo-m8n on a mast. The hex does fly and maintain position okay. I have to do more tests in less windy conditions. What might be causing the aux mag to be giving out more errors than the onboard on at a stand still with no motors running ?