Mini CC3D and motors spinning
« on: April 25, 2016, 02:51:55 pm »
I have some more debugging to do but here is something odd and wanted to ask here.

I hooked everything up with the wiring harness and all motors were fine. I then proceeded to trim the harness down and splice the wires to the esc's.  Then I powered up and motor 1 wouldn't spin.  I broke the splice and twisted the wires together and still wouldn't spin. So I went back into LP and did a test outputs linked.  All motors were spinning great. 

Here is the weird part - power up quad using tx only motors 3 and 4 spin.  Go into LP and do a test outputs and motors 2, 3, and 4 spin.  So this is the odd part, with tx, only 2 motors and with test outputs 3 motors.

Bit of a bummer is that I'll now have to desolder the splice to try the motors separately.  Just to mention I went through the rx test and everything worked well there. 

Re: Mini CC3D and motors spinning
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »
Just an update on my situation, the motor that wasn't spinning either with tx or through test outputs spins on its own, connected via throttle channel.  So it is not the esc or motor. 

When I got the board (from Banggood) I upgraded to firmware 15.09, but the bootloader is version 3.  There is no listing for the mini in the docs so can't really say if it makes sense to update the BL.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:06:38 pm by Stuartambient »

hwh

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 12:49:13 am »
...the bootloader is version 3.  There is no listing for the mini in the docs...

There's no listing because there's no such thing as a mini as far as the software is concerned.  You can only have a cc3d, revo, or revo nano.  All the other names are just marketing names for various Chinese clones.  If it's a "mini cc3d" and shows up in gcs as a coptercontrol just follow the instructions for cc3d.  The connectors and board size/shape may be different but it's still a cc3d as far as the software is concerned.

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Firmware+Tab tells about updating the bootloader and firmware.  The bootloader updaters are available on our download page at https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Downloads

cato

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 04:46:28 pm »
Did you check if the motor never spins or is it possible that the quad is not perfectly level. Especially on my 450 I have this situation a lot, that one motor will only start the moment I take off. That is absolutely nothing to worry about, and you can easily test it by tilting the quad in different directions.
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 05:21:41 pm »
Did you check if the motor never spins or is it possible that the quad is not perfectly level. Especially on my 450 I have this situation a lot, that one motor will only start the moment I take off. That is absolutely nothing to worry about, and you can easily test it by tilting the quad in different directions.

Thanks for the reply. No I could never get the one motor to spin on Channel 1. I switched it to Channel 5 (unused except for the flight mode switch) and it came online.  I checked the continuity on the wire from the pin on the header to where it connects to the esc and it was fine, so perhaps it is something on the board itself.   It was level though.

So now all the motors spin, and I did a clear configuration including upgrading the bootloader (which didn't change Channel 1's issue) but the only issue now is in output configuration where i set the motors to their slowest spin, Motor 1 (channel 5) starts up significantly faster then the other 3.  The difference is over a 100.  Of course with the transmitter and normal startup of the quad it is all fine. 

cato

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:28 pm »
That sounds a lot like a problem with your board, to be honest. I had a China clone were the power system for the motors broke down in a similar way: first one, then two motors would not start when powered through the revo, while everything worked fine without. I changed the revo with a spare I had, and everything worked well immediately.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 06:13:04 pm »
Yeah, I lean to a defective board as well. Shame though because it is perfect size for micros but I suppose there is a chance of getting a good replacement.

Aner

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 06:38:59 pm »
I had a CC3D Atom, did most of the time not get a output in motor-/channel one. Got the money back from my local store. Defect unit. It was not a clone btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
/Aner

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 06:46:02 pm »
Yeah, I wish it was from a local store.  In my neck of the woods the closest one (an hour away) doesn't carry cc3d, or anything of the small / micro class,  otherwise I would have been there.  Banggood is decent in replacing stuff but it takes a while. 

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 07:01:55 pm »
I'm just wondering if I left it as is , is the issue with the output testing configuration be a potential problem in the long run.  I.e.  having 3 motors that were 100+ points above the 1st to start spinning.  Like this things sound good and might take it for a spin later.

cato

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 07:36:03 pm »
Well, you still can get excellent Atoms from Hobbyking. But if it's a so called Revolution Mini (often called Revo Mini), you can only realy on one of the Chinese suppliers.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 07:44:08 pm »
I'd go for an Atom but preferably pin less, which they don't offer.  Of course I can get the pins off just saying they should offer pinless boards, like I see from other vendors.  On a 180 or less, the Atom would be fine without them.

cato

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:03:17 pm »
Correction, Hobbyking now has a nice range of OP controllers including Revos. The CC3Ds and Atoms I bought from them are all good quality.