Map: drone off the coast of Africa???
« on: April 13, 2016, 05:42:57 am »
I've been trying to get my GPS setup so I've reset my home position etc.  However the map shows a drone... my drone??... just off the coast of Africa.

When I have my GPS operating there is a second drone icon shown correctly near my location in the USA.  But the second drone is still hanging out by Africa, with green or red lines tracing between the two.

What is this showing me?!?!  How can I remove the AfricaDrone?

hwh

Re: Map: drone off the coast of Africa???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 05:57:06 am »
Just where it was before the gps came up with the real position.  That point off Africa is 0 Longitude, 0 Latitude.  The lines are the path it traveled to the current position.  You can clear them by right clicking on the map, selecting UAV, and clear uav trail.  There are a lot of other settings available in the right click menu.

jbarchuk

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 09:09:15 am »
That point off Africa is 0 Longitude, 0 Latitude.\

I wonder how many UAVs have 0, 0 programmed into them by default, the user sees a checkbox that says 'Return To Home' and clicks it because it sounds like a good idea. Then in flight the vehicle suffers a failsafe and flies off into the sunset. Or sunrise. The ocean bottom and fields of Kansas and woodlands of the far northwest must be littered with batteries that didn't last long enough to return home. Wrong 'home' but at least they tried.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:04:00 am by jbarchuk »

zukenj

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 09:23:28 pm »
Lol, that is a great comment.

;D
FS-TH9X RC
F450 Clone
Revolution FC
EMAX 2213 935 KV
HK 30A ESC UBEC running BLHeli 14.4
10x4.5 Propellers
DJI Naza clone Ublox M8N GPS

cato

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 11:32:00 am »
Haha, I got an image of a mountain of batteries lying in the sunset of Kansas :) Hillarious :)

A more technical explanation for your observation is: when you start your Copter, all values are at zero. 0,0 for gps is equator at the longitude of Greenwich, so it will show your quad somewhere in the jungle of Africa :)

During the initialization it will load your home position, and jump there. If your home position is not set, it will stay "in Africa" until it found a reasonable 3D fix and loads the current position to your home position. You can also set your home position manually, either by clearing the current and waiting for new GPS data, or by selecting your home position on the GPS map.
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS