GPS setup problems assistants request
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:47:55 pm »
REVO board,OP GPS module on mainport.mainport open for gps 57600 ubx. sensors have been calibrated sucessfully.flight data screen say no signal from gps. but show signal from 7-9 satelites to 0. dont really know what to do. I thought i was calibrating the sensors in the board not the gps. board has a green always on and blue and yellow alternate flashing. help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
ωʉɱ ∞

Re: GPS setup problems assistants request
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:02:35 pm »
You might need to initialize the GPS if it isn't been autoinit'd correctly. Take a look at
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:59:25 pm by hwh »

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 10:53:52 pm »
thanks for the reply. Im sorry but the last part of your message was cut off
ωʉɱ ∞

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 11:53:36 pm »
Sorry about that, that should have been a link to YouTube for Revo Mini + op gps setup and problem troubleshooting.  Search for painless360 and Revo Mini and it should come up.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwh

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 12:16:33 am »
I fixed the link to the video.

-Hank

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 12:32:58 am »
ok thanks guys. i see it now i will look at it. i have watched alot of painless360 videos so i though i would be ok. even after i disabled gps and was gonna fly without it. it was seeing itself upside down in flight data... i havent ever had that problem before with out gps. but this is my first attempting with gps so i figured i would have a little trouble. i will watch the video and hopefully come back with good new. Thanks again guys
ωʉɱ ∞

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 03:59:08 am »
Thanks Hank!

Ben

I fixed the link to the video.

-Hank

hwh

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 04:16:40 am »
Your welcome.   The short youtu.be links don't work right in the forum.  If you paste a full youtube.com https link it automatically makes it an embedded video with preview in the post.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 11:17:36 pm »
spot on. i watched the video before but i didn't have the ftdi adapter. however i had one, new in the box this time. And the video was a great step by step walk through. I like his videos straight and to the point and full of intelligent relevant commentary. I got it up and going. just cant get a good signal. As it wants 7 satellites and i struggle to maintain 6-8 mainly around 6. We have had very bad weather since i started. Rain and overcast, so maybe i will get a better signal when clear. Because it seems as if it wont arm and fly at all unless it has that signal. I don't know much about these small gps units. They're much different than the ones we use at ford. Much simpler interface. But i would like to get a better understanding of the smaller rc version.
ωʉɱ ∞

hwh

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 12:18:43 am »
The tiny "op gps" units have no flash onboard so it takes them about 15 minutes to download the sat info the first time they're powered up each day or have been unpowered long enough to run down the tiny battery on the board.

Part of it being tiny is a tiny antenna with much lower gain than the bigger gps units.  All my full size gps can get at least a marginal lock in the house, the tiny one can't.  I see them as useful only for small quads that don't have room for a full size gps.

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 01:17:44 am »
Awesome nacholibre, glad you were able to get it going.  Hank nailed it in his comment.  The GPS is good for what it was intended for, small quads, outside with time to get the lock it needs.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 01:26:33 am »
Very interesting and good to know. Which would you recommend? I use mostly cc3d for flying without gps. i had a naz32 acro that flipped its way on out of my life. And am now using the Revo which i like. Very similar to the cc3d with extras. My next project is setting up OSD. Do i set it up with the FC or can i just set it up on the fpv unit. Because i have my fpv unit (cam/trans) all in a easiesly moved from one unit to another type set up.
ωʉɱ ∞

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 01:33:37 am »
I have it in a small quad. But i could have used up some more room if i knew better. ;) Learning seems to cost a lot of cash in this game. I guess I should take the laptop outside to be sure I have a lock. I haven't tried any gps flight modes yet. I need to read up more. i don't have a op link modem. Would that help or is it more for the wireless link to control from the computer?
ωʉɱ ∞

hwh

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 03:02:00 am »
...Which would you recommend? I use mostly cc3d for flying without gps. ... now using the Revo ... My next project is setting up OSD. Do i set it up with the FC or can i just set it up on the fpv unit. Because i have my fpv unit (cam/trans) all in a easiesly moved from one unit to another type set up.
The cc3d has no use for gps except for telemetry or an osd.  And the "op gps" units don't work with cc3d boards, only revos.

An osd really needs to be connected to the FC so it can display aircraft attitude.  The wiki article https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/MinOPOSD+setup tells about the only osd that I know of that works with LP.  The smaller one shown has the same features as the larger one, it's just a newer, improved board layout. The first connector configuration using 4 pin connectors would work for both the cc3d and revo.  You could mount the osd to your movable fpv package and just unplug the one connector that goes to the FC.  You wouldn't have gps position on the osd when used with the cc3d unless you buy another gps that works with the cc3d but the rest would work.

The gps that I currently recommend will never work with the cc3d and only works now on the revo with the next branch of the software or the next release when it comes out.  It's the DJI Naza gps and it's clones.  It has an onboard mag sensor that sends data to the FC on the same cable as the GPS so it doesn't take up another port like some other GPS with external mags do.  Again, it doesn't work now except if you compile the next branch yourself but will work on the revo only in the next release.

...i don't have a op link modem. Would that help or is it more for the wireless link to control from the computer?

The oplink can be used to control the copter but it's primary purpose is to send telemetry back to the GCS on your laptop.  It's also handy because you can change FC settings through it without hooking a USB cable to the FC.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 02:09:40 pm »
Thanks Hank! I will give it the old college try later today. I should hopefully achieve some kind of success with the information provided. Thanks again
ωʉɱ ∞