mycino

Hi Guys, I am newbie in this forum.

I have been using my drone syma x8w for two months.

But Syma X8W can't flight with 3 axis gimbal and xiaomi sj9000 4k cam.

so I decided to change the brushed motor to brushless motors with the following part lists.

1. CC3D Evo Flight controller
   2. 2212 1000kv brushless motors with Propeller and adapter
   2.1  30A ESC
   3. Power Distribution Board
   4. Flysky fs-t6 Transmitter, RC
   5. 2S, 7.4V Lipo Battery( it is from syma x8w)
   6. Flight controller configured with Libre Pilot 15.09

it took a two days to finished assembly.

I tried to make it flight after configured the following properties.
    1. ESC calibration
        I set the motor numbers from left upper corner of drones to clockwise, motor 1, motor 2, motor 3 and  motor 4.
        Each motor has set up with 1095 calibration minimum number to start the propeller.
        Also I have done soldering from each motor to each ESC.

2. Transmitter setup
        I set the mode 2 and disarmed when yaw left in 15 seconds.

As i set it up above's properties, I thought my drone will flight like a expensive drone (ex DJI's Phantom 4).
  But it was my whole misunderstood about it. 

I spend ten hours to figure it out what cause of it. I can't still find it.

So I uploaded this article in this forum site. Please give me your smart thought about my drone errors.
 The following detail questions about my drone will make you more understand of my drone errors.

1. When i move down the throttle button of Transmitter to start drone, the my drone totally work well.
      But it wasn't work well when i move up the throttle button to start the propeller spin.
      The most of errors its happens is that the motor 4. Motor 4 has rotated slowly than other motors.
      You can check it as below youtube link.

Question : What's the cause of this errors? , How can i fix it ? Does it happened by lack of battery output?

2. In order to set the transmitter setup , i set the switch c button for flight mode function.
      When i turn the switch c buttion on, all motors has rotated same speed. (What a surprise!)
      I couldn't understand about this. Because if motor 4 has errors , it won't be rotate like other motors.

Questions :  Do my drone can flight if i replace the motor 4 and ESC ?

Thank you so much.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:07:20 pm by hwh »

ernstock

Hi
So , well done on getting all this together.
However ..... , you may find that syma frame and battery not robust enough to support these modifications.
Maybe a 'cheap' 450 sized frame and 3s 2000mah + batteries  would be more suitable for these parts.
Perhaps someone else can also give their thoughts. ....

hwh

Welcome to LibrePilot.

You've done a nice job converting the X8W from brushed to brushless and to a cc3d flight controller.

You said "When i turn the switch c buttion on, all motors has rotated same speed."  You mean when that switch is on all the motors run properly?  If that's true then a hardware problem is less likely than a configuration problem.  Please post your uav config file.   With the cc3d connected to your computer with usb go to file -> export uav settings.

When you went through the setup wizard did all 4 motors work properly?

I agree with ernstock that a 2S battery is a bit small to run a quad as large as your X8W.

Hi
So , well done on getting all this together.
However ..... , you may find that syma frame and battery not robust enough to support these modifications.
Maybe a 'cheap' 450 sized frame and 3s 2000mah + batteries  would be more suitable for these parts.
Perhaps someone else can also give their thoughts. ....

Yes, maybe you are right. build quadcopter not only choose the right frame, motor,lipo battery, prop,esc etc but also all of them have to match.  450 sized frame and 3s 2000mah i think they are not matching. 450 sized frame need 3300mAh 4s or + lipo battery. do you think so?

I use several kinds of 2212 1000KV motors.  You need a 9 or 10 inch prop if you use a 3 cell Lipo.  You are using a 2 cell Lipo so you would need even bigger props than that (maybe 12 inch) to get optimum thrust.  Those big props won't fit, so you don't have big enough props, so you don't have enough thrust to lift off.

Generally speaking, to use those motors, you need at least a 330 sized frame (9 inch props) and must use a 3 cell Lipo.  With a larger frame you can use 10 inch props.

I buy cheap 10 inch props and cut them down to 9 inch.  Of course I balance them whether I cut them down or leave them 10 inch.

These are cheap.  Not as light as carbon, but OK for a trainer.  If you get one, buy an extra for parts.  (red/black)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-Multi-Copter-REPTILE-Quadcopter-500mm-Alien-Frame-W-450-550-Black-Red-/191909072210

(red/white)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Useful-HJ-MWC-X-Mode-Alien-Multicopter-Quadcopter-Frame-Kit-for-DJI-F450-F550-C-/131952459825

landing gear
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Tall-Landing-Gear-Skid-for-DJI-F450-F550-FPV-Aerial-Quadcopter-Perfect-/182280967891

red/white with landing gear
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MWC-X-Mode-Alien-450-Quadcopter-Frame-Heighten-Broaden-Landing-Gear-Skids-V8U7-/222236621888