Drift problem - Solved
« on: March 20, 2016, 11:25:01 pm »
Hi

I read a lot about this subject (even here in the forum) before starting a new topic.
I followed various instructions but problems remain.
I have a Revo with frame H-King 250 always had very drift to one side and forward, made calibrations several times, calibrate the esc, change propellers .... nothing works. Trim in control but the maximum is not enough.
then on libre pilot in the "virtual rotate attitude relative to board" changed the Roll and Pitch values and it´s better, but previously lift right and then began to drift, now with this change to lift goes uncontrolled as have to compensate but after raising stabilizes.
Always in Attitude mode.
My brother have another different frame and a Revo and have same problem not so bad but also makes drift..
It´s normal? Is there any way to be always stabilized or not have to change much higher values ???  ::)

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:13:11 pm by trunks46 »
Diatone WitheSheep - H-King 250

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Drift problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 11:38:32 pm »
Hi,

First, the "Revo" don't exist, that a Chinese invention: there is CC3D boards and Revolution boards.

You should not change the trims in your radio, all zero.
A level calibration should do the job, if you need some adjustment the attitude virtual rotation do the job.

Please also consider that quad well tuned is more stable and have less drift, also without GPS the quad do not stay in one place but need to be piloted a little.
Remember also Attitude stabilization/Accelerometers do not like vibrations.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 11:50:26 pm »
Ok, but it´s normal when i try to lift goes to sides that i compensate in attitude virtual rotation? its a lot sometimes almost turn to upside down, i have to accelarate much to go fast up and then stabilize.

Thanks  :)

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 12:02:38 am »
The behavior you describe has nothing related to level or virtual attitude.

If quad is not stable and difficult to control you may need to tune the PID.
Try hovering using Rate or RateTrainer, if performs better maybe you need to remove vibrations that disturb Accelerometers.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 12:07:24 am »
If the values in virtual rotation are "0" lift ok and then drift, if i change values in virtual rotation lift bad and then stabilize ... maybe it´s the vibrations ... i have to teste in Rate.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:00 am »
Yeah I have a vibration problem on one of my quads and it's because of a motor bearing or shaft or both and I was only able to solve my drift by mounting the board(cc3d) on foam. Instead of the standoffs. It didn't drift at all in rate mode. Motors only gotten a little louder the over the last several months. I just keep it lubed and it flys just fine in any mode.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 01:17:39 am »
yeah i think maybe is the vibrations like your experience... i´ll try keep them off.
Thanks

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 01:40:10 am »
Yeah look for dried pieces of dirt and grass around the edges of motors. It's very hard to see a bent shaft or something. Sometimes spinning a motor by hand will make a noise and sometimes it won't. Vibration issues can be hard to diagnose.  In my case I can't see it but I can feel it (without props on) running it for a few seconds On the work bench. Now I can spin it by hand with a prop on, and not powered up, and it makes a clicky sort of sound.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

jtrout19

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 04:45:52 am »
I would have to add in my very limited experience with quads. Make sure to at least balance your props. It can make a world of difference. I have been flying RC planes for 10 years and always balanced my props. I had the same issue with my X650F. Per the recommendations on here I tuned it and also up'ed the gyro noise filtering value and mine flys great now!

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 03:36:43 pm »
Finally my brother solved my problem.
Just put a filter in accelerometers in Attitude menu - Settings - Filtering, in my case with the value 0.10.
Each case is different but in my, resulted in perfection  :D :D :D ;)
Thanks

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Drift problem - Solved
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 04:33:13 pm »
This means vibrations... better reduce at source or add some dampening :)

jtrout19

Re: Drift problem - Solved
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 04:39:58 am »
That is my exact value I use as well. Which is why I recommended taking a look at it. Glad you got it figured out.