jtrout19

Re: What to do next?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 09:51:36 pm »
Well cause eventually I want to put some other things on my quad and be able to control them with my transmitter. And for a little more I can get more channels. That being said. I did just take this thing out and flew it. It takes alot to make it stay in one place. A little jerky and it like to move by itself. Can you tune these without TxPID or OPlink?

I answered my own questions I am tuning it currently in my living room. The P slider under Roll always reverts back to 30 though. The other sliders save fine but that slider will not stay where I put it. Any Ideas On that?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:10:26 pm by jtrout19 »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 10:13:56 pm »
Can you tune these without TxPID or OPlink?
Yes, try, land, try, land, try... and half day later it can be done maybe, with try and error.

The small D4R receiver do the same as the big, it can output all the channels you need with PPM.
If you want to connect other stuff, you can control buzzer or gimbal through the board.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Adding+a+buzzer+to+Multirotor+frame

jtrout19

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 02:56:58 am »
awesome well I might have to pick one of those up then. Do you guys recommend tuning this thing in the basic tab or advanced tab. I feel like I am going to end up using the advance tab anyway so why not learn it now. I also can only find tuning info based around TxPID or easy tune. You guys know of any documentation on doing it the way im doing it?

jbarchuk

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 03:19:37 am »
It takes alot to make it stay in one place.

Pure motionless hovering happens to be one of the most difficult things to do. The aircraft drifts with the air which is -always- in motion.

A little jerky and it like to move by itself.

Jerky when -you- give it commands, or by itself? If by your command then add expo. Or use more finesse to give smaller smoother motions to the sticks.

Can you tune these without TxPID or OPlink?

Tune 'what? Hovering? As has been mentioned only GPS can do that.

Tuning generally refers to 'motion' flying not standing still.

I answered my own questions I am tuning it currently in my living room.

Is this related to the above where you said 'takes alot to make it stay in one place?' If yes then indoors the quad will *NEVER* hover properly easily. The downwards air blast from the props hits the floor, travels across to the walls, slides up the walls to the ceiling, and travels to the center where it turns downward to feed the props more air. The quad creates its own turbulence. :) There's even a 'wall magnet' effect where the closer you get to a wall it feels like the wall is sucking it in. That's related to the outdoor 'tree magnet' effect which is a -real- aerodynamic effect. Air is a fluid medium whose motion we can't see but can see and feel the effects.

jbarchuk

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 03:22:28 am »
awesome well I might have to pick one of those up then. Do you guys recommend tuning this thing in the basic tab or advanced tab.

The basic tab gives a graphical representation of the PI numbers, plus the numbers, and leaves off the D. The advanced tab is just the numbers and includes D. There's more added too but those are what we work with mostly.

jtrout19

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 03:57:19 am »
Thats kinda what I thought. Kinda threw me off with the advanced having values in decimal and the basic tab having whole numbers.

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 04:57:47 am »
So the first flight after starting over was today. She flew nicely. The only thing i had a complaint about would be that if i let go off the sticks she wouldnt stay and hover in one spot.

This can be used to correct drift:
GCS -> Configuration -> Attitude -> Settings -> Rotate Virtual

drift left needs + on roll
drift fwd needs + on pitch

make an estimate of how many degrees it is wrong... or just try 3 in the direction you need for first try

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 05:02:39 am »
Jerky in flight can be vibration issues:
#1 balance props
#2 balance props and motors
#3 balance props and motors and look for loose screws or broken parts (get the idea? :) )
#4 increase the gyro vibration filter on the GCS -> Configuration -> Stabilization -> Expert page
#5 increase the accel vibration filter on the GCS -> Configuration -> Attitude -> Settings page

jtrout19

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 05:41:57 am »
Awesome Thanks guys I will definitely check those things out. I did balance my props really well before I put them on. I didnt balance the motors though. Never done that before. I will say I have my FPV camera zip tied and there is no shake or vibration to the image as far as I can see. I know there still could be vibration.

On a side note. I have a battery drop really low in voltage today out of the middle of nowhere and I believe it killed my OSD. I had to reprogram everything after it happened as well. But I it is like my OSD is totally dead. Wont display anything. Can't get my FTDI to connect to it. Just thought I would let you guys know.