jtrout19

Current usage question
« on: March 12, 2016, 05:51:55 am »
Hey guys! So I have decided to do without the OPlink at the moment. I really wish I could get it working and the only thing left to do at this point is purchase a new Revolution FC. Which if I spend anymore the wife will cut my balls off in my sleep.

So here is my question. I am wanting to know the average current that is being used by ~550 size quads at rest. Meaning everything is turned on but motors are not turning. Is long as I have my current sensor calibrated right I am siting at just over an amp 1.07. When I bring the motors up to about half throttle it is reading around 45amps.

The hardware on my quad currently. Revo of course, Micro Minimosd, 500MW A/V TX, V8FR-ii Reciever, Sony 700tvl camera, 30A afro ESC running BLheli FW, multistar elite 2216 920kv. Thats it for now. So does just over an amp seem correct?

Re: Current usage question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 06:21:24 am »
The idle usage is probably correct. 45A at half throttle  on what's probably 10-11" props. That's probably right to.  But that's your motors. Everything else sounds like it pulls 1 3/4 amps at rest, from the battery. And the motors are the rest. That's all I can say. I'm not sure how to use op link. I fly mainly minis.

Sorry man. It still flys though right? That's all you surely need.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

jtrout19

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 07:18:17 am »
Yeah before I reset everything it flew alright. Still needs some tuning and I have to learn all the different tuning options in GCS. I am just wanting really accurate voltage and current reading. Voltage was easy to set current a little bit tougher. If my math is correct then it is correct. I guess all I can do is wait and see. The other thing is the idle current read just over a half amp on my OSD. I am gonna fly it tomorrow and see which is correct.

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 07:41:31 am »
I am using attopilot curent voltage sensor on all builds. Once it didnt work well becsuse I soldered sensor reverse I think. Current sensors in general are not very accurate. It gives only approximate idea how much current it drains. So dont count on very accurate readout. To get offest and multiplier right I used vales from librepilot wiki, and tuned with multimeter pluggend between battery, aircraft and aligator clips. I did some low hovering on the carpet to check if values shown in gcs make sense. Unfortunetly, its very hard to tune it without flying from what I remember. My build much smaller takes 610mA in rest, for fc, 4x esc, receiver, 600mW vtx, camera, minimosd. But maybe if you have gimbal or some bigger gear, its more. About wife, I have the same problem with gf, some ppl say "its easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permisson" but in your case i dont expect new revo will change anything. Current sensors are not very accurate in general. But check with multimeter.

Wiki https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Configure+a+Current-Voltage+sensor

From wiki "Sometimes sensor are not accurate with small readings, especially for current" so in rest, also in my case it was not enough accurate to fine tune with multimeter.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:50:26 am by Mateusz »

jtrout19

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 03:54:05 am »
thanks for the input. It flew for the first time today after setting everything up. 8 minutes was all she was in the air used about 1025mah. Fairly accurate good enough for me at least

jtrout19

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 03:03:54 am »
I dont have any extras from what you have other than a NMEA GPS unit. My Current and Volt Sensors are built into my Power Distro board
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__68699__HK_Pilot_Power_VI_Module_Distribution_Board_And_Dual_UBEC_ALL_In_One_120A_and_10s_AR_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=hk%20pilot%20power

I chose this board because of the dual BEC's and the sensors. But its a 120a and the wiki doesn't have examples for a 120a. So i had to try and figure it out on my own.